IPhoto 09 Major Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stockcerts, Feb 23, 2009.

1. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I just imported some photos into IPhoto 09 and shortly afterwards my IMac did a hard shut down. Now when I open IPhoto I get the following error:

The Photo Library nees to be upgraded to work with this version of IPhoto.

After that I click on upgrade and get the following msg:

Can't open current photo library using this version of Iphoto.

I tried reinstalling IPhoto 09 from the disk, but the same error msg's are received. I hope that I haven't lost my thousands of pictures. Any suggestions?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Launch iPhoto with the option key held down. Make a new library, see if the application launches ok even though you don't see your images. If it does, consider restoring from your Time Machine backup, which you ought to have running if you upgraded/updated to 10.5.6 before installing iLife 09. If you do not have a backup, you need to consider automatically or manually rebuilding the library. An automatic rebuild is performed by launching iPhoto with the option + :apple: keys down. From the options displayed, pick the rebuilding of the database from backup choice, and let it do its thing. If its still a no-go the manual rebuild which requires your to crack open the contents of the iPhoto Library package is your best bet. Right or control-click the iPhoto Library in your user Pictures folder and pick the "Show package contents" menu item. Once in, copy the Originals and/or Modified folders to the Desktop. Then create a new library or use the one you made in the earlier troubleshooting step, and import the two folders in. You need quite a bit of hard drive space depending on how large your library is.