iPhoto 09 Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by standingquiet, May 8, 2010.

1. standingquiet macrumors 6502

standingquiet

Right i just have afew simple questions regarding iPhoto 09

I'll start with how i use to do things on my old PC.

Photo's Would be imported to My Picture's, Added into a Sub-folder that the pictures fitted then Created a new folder and named it what ever it was along with the date inside that sub-folder

Example C/Matt/My Pictures/Car Stuff/Focus RS Shoot April 2010

I will then edit the pictures in Photoshop replacing the originals with the final edited picture.

So i want to keep it the same way on my Macbook, but i would like to integrate iPhoto 09 into my way of working because i like the options like add to flickr, facebook etc... and its a nice way to slideshow your images. Better than the standard preview app you get on the Mac.

So first thing i want my pictures to stay where they are so i have checked the option in iPhoto not to copy to the iPhoto library. Reason i want to keep them in there folders is so i can move around to different places with ease like to a PC etc...

So if i import my pictures to iPhoto but not copying them to the iPhoto Library what happens if i edit a picture in Photoshop will it corrupt it in iPhoto? Or if i edit a picture by selecting photoshop through iPhoto will it change the image thats in the original location or will iPhoto create a new picture and store it somewhere else?

Can you create sub-folders on iPhoto?

My photo's are very important to me and i like them organised and easy to transfer around, i don't like duplicates everywhere on 1 computer. I just want them on my mac and backed up on my External HDD. This is why i have left this until last to do on my new mac.

I'm even thinking do i actually need iPhoto and just use something like Preview but that's better? Window's image viewer was very good for displaying pictures you just clicked any picture in a folder and it opens and you can slide through the whole folder, but preview you have to choose all your photos in order to do this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Matt

2. DolmenRage macrumors member

I have yet to discover how iPhoto saves and stores photos. I could also use some help with this.