iPhoto 09 saving jpg from desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Techcomm, May 10, 2009.

1. Techcomm macrumors newbie

I know this is probably a basic question but I'm still getting the hang of things here.
    I have a jpg photo I received on an email. I dragged the file onto my desktop and now want to save it in my iPhoto 09 library.
    I've tried dragging it, importing it but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right.
    When I place it into iPhoto it comes up as a new event. I drag that event into the existing event I want my photo stored in. It asks me if I want to merge events and I say Yes and the photo is now in my existing event along with about twenty others. Ok so far.
    But when I do a right click "show file" on my new photo it just lists that photo. When I do the same to any other photo in that event it shows all the photos.
    Am I missing something?
    Thanks so much for any help you could give me.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You merged events, so everything is fine.

When it imported the file, it created its own folder and placed the photo in it. When you merged the events, it changed the file's association in iPhoto, but it didn't move the file. There is no reason to.

3. Techcomm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I really appreciate the help.
    Is there a way to access the folders the photos are in directly through the finder? It seems to me that iPhoto is kind of like a "shell" but the jpg files themselves are hidden somewhere.
    Thanks again.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

They are hidden away for a reason, and messing around with the files in Finder can cause corruption.