iPhoto '09 slow in fullscreen, more RAM?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by martynmc7, Jul 25, 2009.

1. martynmc7 macrumors regular

Hi guys

I've recently been playing around with iPhoto '09 on my new MacBook Pro 13" (2.26GHz), and due to the small(ish) screen size I prefer editing in fullscreen. The only problem is that I get very slow slider controls that lag, and especially I get very slow zooms and pans around the picture. This lag isn't there when not in fullscreen.

I guess my question is whether this is a hardware issue with the 9400M, whether more RAM would help (I'm currently on 2GB, though iStat only shows half the RAM wired), or whether this is just an issue with iPhoto not being optimised for fullscreen editing?

Any suggestions/fixes would be most helpful.

Thanks!

2. calvin2006 macrumors regular

I'm not sure how bad your lag is, but my 2.53GHz MBP with 4GB of RAM has a little lag with some of the sliders. I think that's pretty normal with photo editing software. When I use Photoshop Elements, the response time is a little delayed as well. Unless you're experiencing lag times of more than a second or two, your system is functioning normally and you probably won't improve it that much with more RAM.

3. eliteneo macrumors member

I doubt it a hardware issue
    if ur's was low on battery that causes it to lag a bit
    or maybe u were doing a lot of stuff behind the scenes?

4. martynmc7 thread starter macrumors regular

I double checked nothing else was going on behind the scenes. It's a shame really because on my iMac 20" 2.4GHz iPhoto '08 is as smooth as anything when editing in fullscreen.

Maybe Snow Leopard will help with optimising fullscreen editing in iPhoto '09, fingers crossed, the lag isn't that bad, it's just I'm pretty sure the MacBook Pro should be able to handle editing fullscreen without any.

5. fishwalker macrumors newbie

Iphoto 09 slow for me too...

Hi, was just looking for threads on slow iphoto 09. I have a Macbook Pro 15.4" from OCT 08 with 2GB RAM and 50GB free harddrive. Have found iphoto 09 slow to run ever since importing all my photo's from old mac when I got this. I include an image hopefully of my activity monitor widget when attempting a zoom and pan in full screen on a file about 2.8mb jpeg... Anyway wondering if upgrading to 4GB RAM will help but notice Photoshop CS3 has no problems at all rendering images from iphoto and panning/zooming etc. Use iphoto a lot as image storage library so is annoying when editing I agree. Anymore opinions welcomed and on my activity monitor? Also iTunes is V slow especially opening. Thinking its an iLife hogging thing in general maybe? :confused:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephanie_broadley/3840826746/in/set-72157621970977825/