Iphoto 11 and iphoto 9 syncing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Valkyre, May 30, 2013.

1. Valkyre macrumors 6502

Hello people i have a problem and would like your help.

I have 2 Macs:

-A Retina Macbook pro with ML and iphoto 11 and

- An Imac (late 2009) with SL and iphoto 9

My problem is that I cannot move my library from one mac to the other because it says that the iphoto 11 is not compatible with iphoto 9 and hence, i cannot sync my libraries.

I tried downloading iphoto 11 on my iMac but it requires 10.7 and I am not willing to uninstall Snow Leopard for this.

So is there some other way that I can have a unified/same library transfered from my rmb pro to my imac?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, you have two different versions of the application that has different library structures.

If you really need/want to sync your libraries, then you'll need to upgrade the other computer.

3. Valkyre thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply, is there though some other application (3rd party) I could use to transfer my library from ML to SL? I do not understand sometimes, why apple likes to make such simple things problematic...

Any help would be appreciated.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple like other companies provides the tools to upgrade your library to the new version. There's no tools/apps available to my knowledge that provides a downgrade path.

5. Valkyre thread starter macrumors 6502

That is not entirely true. Forcing someone to upgrade his entire OS just to sync his 2 libraries of photos, is not convenient for the customer.

Besides, itunes is absolutely compatible and the same in both ML and SL. So why cant the iphoto be the same?

In any case there is no 3rd party app that allows you to take photos from ML OS and bring them to SL OS? It cant be all that difficult, can it?

6. Volkan1984 macrumors member

Why don't you export the photos from the iPhoto library to for instance your desktop? And then move it over the network to the other computer?

You will not have the albums and such links anymore but that is the price of wanting to sync incompatible versions...

7. Valkyre thread starter macrumors 6502

My friend... thanks! Indeed a life saver you are! And I can export each album to my desktop at a time so as to export them to the SL one! It will take a lot of time but it will indeed work!

Thanks a lot! ;)

8. Volkan1984 macrumors member

You're welcome and good to know that the albums are preserved :)