iPhoto 11 Beach balls

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by standingquiet, Sep 19, 2012.

1. standingquiet macrumors 6502

Feb 13, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    Hey Guy,

I have a Late 2011 Macbook Pro 13, i7 2.8ghz, 8gb RAM, 750gb HDD and iPhoto is really laggy and when i scroll or change to a new album the beach ball appears and have to wait a 5-10secs for it to respond.

I have just upgraded to 8gb RAM from 4gb and it has made it slightly better but with such a powerful machine it seems odd to behave like this.

I done a fresh ML OSX install last week and everything else seems to run fine except iPhoto 11 (V.9.3.2)

I have 16,905 Photos which takes 82gb of my HDD of which i have 550gb Free Space of my 750gb.

Any advice would be great

2. chriscl macrumors 6502

Jan 4, 2008
    Stuttgart, Germany
    That is a very large photo library; I'm not surprised to see iPhoto struggling a bit with it to be honest.

For a library of that size, you maybe need to be looking at a more robust Photo Editing Application - Lightroom, Apple's own Aperture, or Photoshop (either the full version, or the version of Elements that ships with the Organizer) are much better in that respect.

I have over 11,000 photos (around 65GB in size) and use Photoshop Elements Organizer currently to manage these, which works well, with no beachballs (mid-2012 MBP here).

I am considering looking at Lightroom though, as my library gets bigger...
  3. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

Sep 2, 2008
    Metro Kansas City
    That library size shouldn't be a problem at all. I have an Aperture library with almost 48,000 images which is 440GB in size - when I open it in iPhoto 11 it gives me no trouble at all. When I quickly scroll through all of the Events, the key photo is a little pixelated at first, but it quickly snaps into focus. iPhoto is only loading the thumbnails when you launch it - it's not like it's loading all of the images.

I'm running this on a 2008 iMac with a 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo with 6GB of 800MHz RAM. Your machine has better specs than mine. It's not a hardware issue.

I'd suggest repairing your iPhoto database to see if that helps. First, make a copy of your database and store it somewhere (either on another part of your HDD, or an external hard drive). Then, hold down "Option-Command" when launching iPhoto - keep holding until a launch screen appears with a bunch of options. I'd try "Repair Permissions" first, then "Repair Database", and if that doesn't do it try "Rebuild Database". This last one may take quite a bit of time.
  4. slimbek macrumors regular

Feb 23, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    I've been finding mine to run slowly while it catches up PhotoStream images.
    The syncing really slows it down... so I often just leave it for a little while so it can sort itself out (syncing/face tagging/mapping etc.) and then come back and it's normally all good.