iPhoto 11 Browse Backups button missing!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacBoobsPro, Aug 20, 2011.

1. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I deleted a few pics from iPhoto a while back but have TimeMachine setup so everything gets backed up. I went to restore the deleted photos and everyone is saying in iPhoto go to File > Browse Backups but its simply not there?!

Why is that? I only want to restore a few photos not my entire library as I will then lose all the photos I've added since I deleted those few.

iPhoto 11
    iMac 3.4 i7

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

From this Apple doc, iPhoto '11: Delete or restore a photo

If you use iPhoto 9.1.4 or later and Mac OS X v10.7 or later: To restore photos, quit iPhoto, open the folder containing your iPhoto library, and then open Time Machine.

If you use earlier versions of iPhoto or Mac OS X: To restore specific photos or Events, open iPhoto and choose File > Browse Backups. To restore your entire iPhoto library, quit iPhoto, open the folder containing your iPhoto library, and then open Time Machine.

3. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

That just restores the entire library.

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Sorry, I didn't read carefully enough to realize that it restored the entire library.

I'm using Snow Leopard so this might not work under Lion, but while you have iPhoto OPEN to where you deleted from (ie, Photos, Events, etc.), go to the Time Machine icon in the menu bar and choose Enter Time Machine, you should then be able to go back in time and get your deleted photos. Post back if this works.

5. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Nope. Resorts to finder. Tried everything. It seems Lion doesn't allow you to retrieve individual photos via TimeMachine. I've now read the Apple Docs very carefully and the wording is subtle but basically says iPhoto in SL you can retrieve 'individual photos' but under Lion it says to retrieve 'photos'. i.e. there is no 'individual'. If you do what it says it simply tells you to restore your iPhoto library. More lame reduction of features in Apple stuff. Quicktime, FinalCut, iPhoto, iWeb etc. Soon we will just be giving Apple money for nothing.

6. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

just an idea

restore your complete iphoto library (to a separate place so as not to everwrite the original)
    right click on it and show package contents
    go to the originals folder and copy the pictures you want back to somewhere
    import these back into iphoto

unfortunately you will lose any edits, but you will have the pictures back

7. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

The reduction/simplification of features in Lion doesn't sound like Apple's best work. I haven't upgraded to Lion yet as I just got my MacBook Pro (with 10.6) a few weeks ago and I'm still transitioning everything from my old PowerPC iMac. It's taking me awhile since besides moving stuff over I'm also finding replacement software, etc. I've got my free Lion upgrade downloaded just don't know when or if I'll install it.

Getting back to your deleted photos, could you make a copy of your iPhoto Library (to fall back to if this doesn't work) and then try a restore from the Time Machine backup to an earlier date, maybe it keeps what's different from each and merges the two to get your photos back. Doesn't Lion do something similar to that with files in Finder now?

8. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I tried that but it just seemed to load the current library?! I held down option when I tried the second time and forced it to use the retrieved library but it still didn't work? I've given up to be honest. Its becoming more and more of a pain in the ass to use Apples software.

9. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Apparently you're right that it only restores the entire library, at least that's what this Apple doc seems to say. Also seems to say that iPhoto isn't completely backed up if iPhoto is open when Time Machine runs. I haven't started using iPhoto yet as i kept putting it off until I got a new Mac, now I think I'm going to take a look at Adobe Organizer (it's part of Photoshop Elements 9) and Google Picasa. After using Mac's for almost 20 years I'm not sure I like the direction Apple is heading in, it just doesn't seem to make sense.

10. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

11. IrlSmith macrumors newbie

Easy way to restore a few deleted photos from backup

The key to the method here is to use the option-click method of opening iPhoto to let you choose a different library, then export from it, then go back to the original library and import as usual.
    Here's one way:
    • Quit iPhoto
    • Rename the library to something, e.g., iPhotoTemp
    • Restore from backup of a version having the photos you want; rename it to e.g. iPhotoOld
    • Option-click iPhoto; it will ask which library you want to open; select the iPhotoOld (you might not have to do the option-click thing since the restore may have slid it into place where iPhoto expected to find it, but this way you'll be sure).
    • Export the photos as usual. If you want the originals and also any edited versions, you might export, then Revert to Original, then export again.
    • Quit iPhoto
    • Rename the iPhotoTemp back to what it was before
    • Option-click iPhoto and select the original library you just renamed
    • Drag the exported photos into the library.