iPhoto 11: consolidating external folder photos into library

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jettoblack, Oct 25, 2011.

1. jettoblack macrumors member

Hello,
    In the past I had imported a lot of photos into iPhoto using the option called something like "Don't copy photo files into my library", which means that some (but not all) of the photos in my library are stored in other folders. Now I'd like to consolidate them so that all the photo files are in my iPhoto library instead of in separate folders, but without losing any metadata on these photos like faces, locations, etc.

I seem to recall earlier version of iPhoto had an option to do this, but I can't find anything like it in iPhoto 11.

Someone told me to just import the files again and have it copy the files into the library this time, but then I'm worried I'll either have duplicates in the library or I'll lose the metadata. I also looked at "iPhoto Library Manager" from Fat Cat Software but it didn't specifically mention the ability to do this.

Has anyone done this and can give a definitive answer about the best way to go about it? Thanks!

2. jettoblack thread starter macrumors member

Sorry to bump this but does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

3. hackele macrumors newbie

I doubt you still need an answer after all these years, but with as I had the same problem, I had to look for solution as well. First thing, I emailed the fat cat software and they said that rebuilding library in iPLM basically does, though may lose some data. They pointed to the URL on their site, I think it was smart albums or something like that. Tolerable.

But, as I emailed them on Saturday, by the time they answered I already had a solution. It's a tricky one and one should go for it with caution, but in case you (or another sufferer with the same problem) want it desperately, here is a script that did it for me: http://hacker.klever.net/n/2012/08/11/consolidating-iphoto-library-with-disrespectful-sql-hacking