iPhoto '11 - Export Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ftaok, Aug 6, 2011.

1. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

OK,

Maybe this is how it's always been, but I've just noticed it now.

I'm trying to burn a few CDs of photos for some of my neighbors. Since some of these folks use Windows, I have to do it via Finder or Toast. iPhoto's Share/Burn feature is for Mac only.

Anyways, when I export the photos, there's two settings that seems to have changed from iPhoto '08. One of the settings is Quality and the other is Size.

I think with iPhoto '08, if I wanted to export the photo to be exactly the same as if I had downloaded it from the camera, I could choose the quality to be "full" or something like that.

Seems like iPhoto '11 has a High and Max quality. When I export a file of say 3MB, High results in a file around 2MB and Max results in 8MB.

What gives? Can iPhoto just export the file without processing the photo?

ft

2. Mac Eagle macrumors member

I think that when you are exporting, you want to select Kind = Original (not JPEG) and that will export the file without any kind of processing and should match the file size.

3. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

If you choose the "Original" option under file type, you'll get the unaltered file (in my case, this is for a RAW file my daughter shot, the original .cr2 was exported).

Attached Files:

4. ftaok thread starter macrumors 603

ftaok

Yeah,

Thanks. I thought I was going insane. I think my problem is that at some point on iPhoto'08, I switched it to Original. Then when we got '11, it defaulted back to JPEG.

Thanks to both of you.