Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
Hi all-
I'm having an issue where iPhoto '11 freezes if I try to click on anything in Full Screen view (Events, faces, anywhere on the screen). I am using version 9.3 on the latest version of Lion. (not sure if this happened prior to 9.3 because I never used Full Screen mode before.)

I have tried holding Command & Option to rebuild the database, no luck. I made a new user account & created a 'test' photo library & that one works as expected.

Any suggestions?

rbucnis

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2008
iPhoto '11 freezes in Full Screen view

Had same kind of issue when I have over 15k photos, created additional library and moved to Aperture....

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
I forgot to add that it works perfectly in windowed mode. After I click the fullscreen arrows, I can still hover over the Events to see the different photos in the event but the second I click on anything, it freezes & a force quit is required.

The thing is, I don't know how long this problem has been around because I have never even tried to use the full screen view until now. Another thing, the issue is occurring on my new 15" MBP with Retina Display and I copied the photo library from my old MacBook but haven't wiped it yet. I checked the photo library on the old computer & it behaves the same way (freezing in Full Screen view)

So I'm pretty sure there is a problem with the photo library file but I'm not sure what...

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
I'd also like to add that my husband also has the same 15" retina MBP and his iPhoto library works as expected. Since the same exact library file on both my current and old computers has the same issue, I think it's something to do with my library file and/or the 9.3 update.* I wish I could go back to 9.2 and test it. :-/

Almarma

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011
Same problem here

I have exactly the same issue. In my case, I moved previously to Aperture, and the other day I got the great news that now, both libraries, could be read by both apps. Aperture works fine with that library, but iPhoto freezes instantly when entering in fullscreen mode. As you say, it works fine in normal window mode, the problem is only in fullscreen. I also tried to repair permissions, repair library, etc, both from iPhoto and also from Aperture. Nothing worked for me. I contacted Apple to let them know about the issue. I think it's a bug that they must fix soon. You can contact them here:
http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphoto.html

I think it's important to let them know about the issue. The more we contact them, the faster they will fix it

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
I have exactly the same issue. In my case, I moved previously to Aperture, and the other day I got the great news that now, both libraries, could be read by both apps. Aperture works fine with that library, but iPhoto freezes instantly when entering in fullscreen mode. As you say, it works fine in normal window mode, the problem is only in fullscreen. I also tried to repair permissions, repair library, etc, both from iPhoto and also from Aperture. Nothing worked for me. I contacted Apple to let them know about the issue. I think it's a bug that they must fix soon. You can contact them here:
http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphoto.html

I think it's important to let them know about the issue. The more we contact them, the faster they will fix it

I sent feedback and I got a reply asking to submit crash logs. Crossing my fingers that an update comes out soon to fix the issue. Also am now noticing that iPhoto is crashing often not just in full screen mode. Grr

Almarma

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011
I sent feedback and I got a reply asking to submit crash logs. Crossing my fingers that an update comes out soon to fix the issue. Also am now noticing that iPhoto is crashing often not just in full screen mode. Grr

Great!! And congratulations for getting an answer from them!! In 4 years using Apple products and submitting several issues, they never contacted me :(

I hope they will fix soon too

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.