Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

junk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
After a week of trying to understand why they took out key features like full screen photo editing from iPhoto 09 I've finally reverted to iPhoto 09. It's a breath of fresh air. It finally made sense to me when I saw the ad for Aperture in the File menu of iPhoto 11 though. They took out the features that make it a low-end competitor to Aperture and put in more facebook bling. Very sad. I guess I will have to go to Aperture in the end.

junk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Well the good news about Aperture 3 is that you can buy it from the App store for only $79 now. I bought it myself last month

That's cool - how was the transition? What do you love / miss from iphoto 09?

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
That's cool - how was the transition? What do you love / miss from iphoto 09?

I miss it not being easy to use and bringing my MBP 4GB to its knees. Why can't non-Aperture users have full screen editing and all the other things in iPhoto 09. iPhoto 11 is a shameful backward step, lacking the sort of design standards we have come to expect.

I can't get into Aperture as there is too much to learn and too many new conventions. I just want to use iPhoto. Old iPhoto obviously (but eventually this will become obsolete).

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
I miss it not being easy to use and bringing my MBP 4GB to its knees. Why can't non-Aperture users have full screen editing and all the other things in iPhoto 09. iPhoto 11 is a shameful backward step, lacking the sort of design standards we have come to expect.

I can't get into Aperture as there is too much to learn and too many new conventions. I just want to use iPhoto. Old iPhoto obviously (but eventually this will become obsolete).

+1

I miss the intuitivity and easy of iPhoto.

However Aperture runs faster than iPhoto on my i7 MBP with 4GB ram. I also expect it to keep my library smaller since it doesn't make copies of all files as soon as you rotate them. The additional editing capabilities are a big plus as well.

junk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
I just want to use iPhoto. Old iPhoto obviously (but eventually this will become obsolete).

Exactly. It is so depressing to see iPhoto being driven into a ditch.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
I haven't had any problems since I upgraded except a few times when it had some issues with a Facebook sync. Then again I don't use iPhoto for editing as I have access to an educational copy of Photoshop CS5, so I do most of my editing in that. iPhoto is mostly just an import and management tool for me.

reb3times

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2011
I feel your pain

I was a user of photoshop products for years. They have Photoshop Elements (Iphoto) and Photoshop CS editions (Apples Aperture). When I got my MAC I switched to Aperture. Now I am in the process of going back to photoshop. My issue with Aperture is that the file storage system can be mind numbing at best and the overall product does not have the same power that you get with photoshop.

As for the issues with Iphoto 11, I feel your pain. Sometimes it seems that when Apple releases a new product, they make it just nice enough to keep you around but always wanting more. I enjoy a lot of the features of Iphoto9 and plan to keep using it for everyday snap shots. I see I photo 11 as just another advertisement for Aperture.

Mantasis

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2007
anyone else find aperture running quite slowly? Anyone know if there's a way to speed the app up?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.