Iphoto 11 keeps crashing on image imoport

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cultivate, Feb 28, 2011.

1. cultivate macrumors newbie

So I've been having problems with my imovie all it does launch and then crash for about the past 6 months.

Now I've noticed a problem with my iphoto 11. It seems to run and work fine, but whenever I try to import images it just crashes and continues to due so every time I try importing. It doesn't seem to make a difference if its from my desktop or directly from my camera. Last time I imported images was about a month ago with out any problems.

Any idea what could be happening? How can I go about fixing this? I can post the crash report if it'd help.

Thanks!

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Before fiddling around with iPhoto, you should make sure you have a backup of your iPhoto Library, either through Time Machine, or by manually copying it to your Desktop. Then launch iPhoto holding option+:apple:, choose the options to repair the database, rebuild the database from backup, and examine and repair the iPhoto Library file permissions. After the rebuild completes, try importing, and report back if it still does not work.

3. cultivate thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice... I've tried what you suggested, and Iphoto is still crashing when trying to import.

Any thoughts?

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Hold option when launching iPhoto and create a new library. Try importing some pictures. If it works without quitting that means you will have to do a manual rebuild of your iPhoto library. Apple has an article for how to do this on iPhoto 6-iPhoto '09, but has not updated it for iPhoto '11. You can still open the package file in the same way, but the pictures have been relocated from an Originals folder to the Masters folder, and from Modified to Previews. Import these two folders into the new library and start reorganizing/resorting your images. The manual rebuild process will strip away all of the structure of your original iPhoto Library, as well as lose any iPhoto projects you had begun, including calendars, books, etc.

5. cultivate thread starter macrumors newbie

Doesn't seem to be working. I've created a new library and tried importing, and iphoto just continues to crash. Now what are my options?

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Sorry for the delayed response. If it's happening with a new library and even with a rebuilt library, it's starting to sound like an application/user-specific issue. I just want to follow up on something I recommended before we go into the remaining steps. With the new library, were you importing the same pictures, or different ones? For example, try importing something from /Library/Desktop Pictures into a blank library. Does it quit or no? If it does not that means one or more of the pictures or the source is bad. If it does we can move on.

To see if the issue is user-specific or not, create a new user account via Accounts preferences. Launch iPhoto in the new user, try importing. Does it quit? If no, you will need to start peeking in ~/Library/Caches, ~/Library/Preferences, or somewhere else to start figuring it out. If it quits in a new account, you will need to remove and reinstall iPhoto.

7. cultivate thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so I created a new user and iphoto is still crashing...

I have since noticed something I've been able to successfully import a couple of very small images each under 100kb, but when I try with any "normal" sized image it just keeps crashing. So I'm guessing I need to try and reinstall iphoto.

Whats the best way to go about doing this? I have appcleaner to uninstall software should I us it? are their any other files that I should be removing manually?

Thanks again!

8. muchado macrumors newbie

Crashing iPhoto

I know this is an old thread, but no-one seems to have mentioned the approach that worked for me, namely to delete the plist file and rebuild the database.

Details are available here:
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/know...-iphoto-problems-and-how-to-solve-them.html#b

iPhoto Keeps Crashing

If you are ever experiencing repeated iPhoto crashing, rather than reinstalling the entire program, which would necessitate reimporting all the pictures (which, granted, is an option, and, depending on how much content you have in your library, may be the easiest one), first try deleting the plist file. This stands for "property list" and contains personal settings, such as the location of your library and various user settings (much like the cache does in an Internet browser). By deleting the plist file, you are forcing iPhoto to restore the factory defaults. It can be located by going to your hard drive, users, your name, library, then preferences. Locate the com.apple.iphoto.plist file and delete it. You may need to rebuild your library after this step, which is a fairly simple process. Press the Apple and the options keys when you restart iPhoto, then select to rebuild the library database from the automatic back-up.