iPhoto 11 Lags

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by supercooled, Oct 21, 2010.

1. supercooled macrumors 6502a

Is iPhoto graphic card intensive? On my Early 2008 MP every time I go to full screen mode (already evident in '09) the graphics card fan spins up and there is a discernible pause in transitioning. I think with Lion's big emphasis on full screen functionality, I will be annoyed to death with the pause and annoying fan's whirl.

Is the 2600xt really that outdated? I don't want to get a card for gaming purposes but something that will remedy this.

During the presentation you see how fast the applications respond and they're using a iMac. I thought with 8cores I would be at least on par but it could be the graphics card as well. Such a downer.

2. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Have you checked system monitor to see what else might be getting bogged down while you're seeing the lag? Maybe it's loading 1GB of RAM, or the some other resource is getting hammered.

That behavior does sound like a big bummer.

3. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

I find it rather unlikely to be normal. As stated, check the Activity Monitor to see what else it's chewing up. If it runs slow on your MP, I can't imagine it running on new MBA's or even MB's. How much RAM do you have installed?

4. supercooled thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have 10GB but there's just tell tale signs that the graphics card is really the bottleneck. I sometimes get artifacts which necessitates a restart to remedy.

5. goMac macrumors 603

Sounds like your GPU is dying, actually.

6. supercooled thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's easy to think that but I wasn't being specific enough. The artifacts happen at the start when I power on my machine not as the machine gets warm or overheat. It's like the drivers fail to load properly. If I put it to sleep and then restart, it's fine but oddly enough, I lose the ability to use my optical drive.

7. goMac macrumors 603

Yeah... that all sounds pretty suspect actually.... Is it the original optical drive?

Components in some cases can actually not work when they're cold and start working when they're warm when they're dying. It's because as they cool and warm the components shift into new positions, and sometimes it can be the opposite.

8. supercooled thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is this like Quantum Physics or something? :eek:

The drive is a replacement because the original had died. I vaguely recall having to replace it because the OEM was acting up in the same manner. Funny though it only started happening after I upgraded to Leopard and SL. My original system came with Tiger which didn't have that problem.

9. OddThomas macrumors regular

OddThomas

I agree with the others on this thread, sounds like video card issue. I just got iLife11 and tried full screen with iPhoto and it's very snappy. I have an ati4870... there is no "spin up" totally silent.