iPhoto '11 Letterpress cards cost

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DTphonehome, Oct 20, 2010.

1. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

Does anyone know how much the letterpress cards cost? They look very nice, but I bet they're super-expensive.

2. KindredMAC macrumors 6502a

KindredMAC

I was wondering this too.
    I hope they don't cost an arm and a leg since all the real work has been done up front.

The Letterpress cards already have to be printed and ready for your text and photos.

It's not like Apple's contracted printers are printing that Tree card for each individual order... that would be insane!

3. rockabillyjon macrumors newbie

rockabillyjon

4. Brinkman macrumors 6502

Brinkman

I dig it, make your own card and avoid the cheesy one's at the store.

5. DTphonehome thread starter macrumors 68000

That's actually not so bad. Have you ever priced out high-end stationary or wedding invitations? Still, it's a bit more than I wanted to spend on thank you cards for my son's bris presents.

6. Petermon21 macrumors newbie

I've been looking at this type of letterpress card over the cheaper Tiny Prints version, which are all digital, for this year. For letterpress/digital I still think that $3 is high. If you look at other letterpress companies that have been doing this using straight letterpress with no digital printing they are priced at $3.50 or so. These printers use much nicer 100% cotton papers that are super thick (600gsm) and use real photos. The Apple papers say "premium" and look to be less than half that thickness. To do the digital part, papers can't be but so thick, so that is somewhat limiting. Apple is farming this job out twice, once for the letterpress and once for the digital, so they have to mark it up higher to make it work. I do like some of the designs though. The printers I've looked at also are offering deals this year like free shipping and 15-20% discounts so it works out to be about the same but for a better quality card IMHO. The great thing is it spreads the word about how nice letterpress printing is!

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

$3 is not much, I thought it'd be at least $5.

8. Braunmann macrumors newbie

You're a lot better off using these people!

For less than a $1 per card you can get fully customizable cards to your liking. Thousands of cards to choose from, or make & design your own. Plus you can send your first couple of cards free just for trying out their system. Checkout iCardsRUs.com for a test drive.

9. KindredMAC macrumors 6502a

KindredMAC

$3 IS way too much. Trust me I've worked in and with the printing industry for over 15 years. All of these cards are already made and then they feed them through an inkjet printer for your picture and greeting text. I think I will stick with any of the other companies out there.

10. Playgear macrumors regular

Even if that is what happens, how is $3 too much?

That's less than a coffee at most places...

This ***** me like people bitching about the price of MobileMe.
    For you people in the US, it's $99 a year. That's $8.25 a month.
    That's cheaper than a weekly train ticket here in Australia...

11. FareThoughts macrumors newbie

FareThoughts

Petermon21: I was under the impression from a family member who is a printer that letterpress printing cannot really be used to print photos as it uses spot colors, not CMYK, and was designed for text and line art — not even halftones. So, do you know how those other letterpress printers are producing photos that aren't using a digital technology? Are they maybe using offset (like a Heidelberg? *drools*) in addition to the letterpress?

Also, I'm not sure that $3 is so bad when I just spent $4 at a major retailer for a pretty impersonal card.

12. Petermon21 macrumors newbie

FareThoughts you're correct. Apple is having the cards letterpress printed first in large quantities then they do the digital work for the photo and custom text digitally once the order comes in. So just the motif or snowflake etc...would be letterpress printed and the custom message and photo are digital probably done on an HP indigo. The way these other letterpress companies are doing it is the entire card is letterpress printed, like the custom message/greeting and the frame around the photo. Then they apply a doubled sided tape that you the customer would peel off and attach your own real picture. Like these here: http://www.pagestationery.com/letterpress-christmas-cards.html It takes a bit more time but I personally just like having a real photo as it is clearer etc...especially on the thicker papers that these printers use use. Some of them are really thick and wouldn't come close to going through a digital press and could even be problematic when cutting I would imagine. So that way your getting the entire card letterpress printed and just attach the photo. This on a much nicer paper and shows the impression better(which is what letterpress is all about IMHO). If the quantity is larger, you get a good price as well.