iPhoto 11 migration issue, 2 libraries on one HD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pandabearjohnso, Jun 24, 2014.

1. pandabearjohnso macrumors member

pandabearjohnso

I finally got around to updating my wife's MBPro to iPhoto 11 (from 9). After the update the new iPhoto found a 2nd smaller photo library and populated itself with that. When we realized the vast majority of her photos were missing we went hunting around and found her old iPhoto library hidden in a folder where it wasn't supposed to be. Now I want to ditch the "new" (small) photo library and have iPhoto 11 discover the old library with all its settings and albums and everything. But I also want to move that library to where it is supposed to live.

Should I uninstall iPhoto or is there an easier way to make it forget a library? Would this be a good time to use iPhoto Library Manager?

Thanks
    Tony

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

You just need to use File menu > Switch to Library... The old library is in the same place it's always been - it wouldn't have been moved during the update. So, leave it where it is, and simply switch to it.

No need to uninstall/reinstall iPhoto - that won't fix anything.

3. rwbarna macrumors newbie

It's really simple

If you hold the option key while starting iPhoto, it will ask you which library you want to open. Choose the one you want, and it will remain the default until you specify another one.
    I have 85 separate iPhoto libraries (one for each trip we've taken), and simply select the one I want by the option-key trick.
    Note: you can just copy the iPhoto library to the disk you want and do the option trick to select it.

4. pandabearjohnso thread starter macrumors member

pandabearjohnso

Can I split my iPhoto Library?

Thanks all, so simple, I should have figured it out.

@rwbarna... I wish I had known that ages ago, my library wouldn't be so bloated. Can I split my existing library into several libraries? Can you advise the best way to create multiple libraries from one mess?

Thanks

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

When you get to this stage Aperture is generally a better route to go. Easily manages multiple libraries and better handles very large libraries. In addition you get much better editing capabilities.

6. rwbarna macrumors newbie

Splitting iPhoto library into several new ones

If you export as originals, they will appear on an external drive. The files can then be reimported into a new iphoto library.
    If you have named the events as something other than "untitled event", you can specify in the export to separate the events as subfolders.
    It should then be easy to reimport each subfolder (event) into different iphoto libraries.

7. MCAsan, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014

MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

But know from today's news, aperture is dead. If you want the new Photos app, hold onto iPhoto until Photos is out. If you want the same type of features and functions as Aperture strongly consider moving to Lightroom. I think Adobe May be working on migration tools.