iPhoto 11 moving from Referenced to Managed

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Utterchaos23, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Utterchaos23 macrumors member

Utterchaos23

Hi all,

Have now had my iMac for about 2 years and loving it.

Being a former PC owner i got used to not trusting app's to do the right thing and so used a Ref library in iPhoto. I've since decided that Apple know what there're on about so have gone for a Managed Library.

Problem is, I now have some of each which is really messy. What i want to do is convert all my Aliases into the originals for a fully managed library. I've tried just over-writing the Aliases with the jpgs but that didn't work "Cannot find Photo".

I've done loads of searching but other than Alias herder (which doesn't work on '11) i can find no solutions.

Any ideas? :confused:

Thanks

2. waynep macrumors 6502

I went through this very thing. I came from the PC in Jan using Picasa. Naturally I installed PIcasa on the Mac to manage my photos. I then explored iPhoto set up the referenced library pointing to my Picasa library. After a while I decided that iPhoto was nice and migrated everything to it as you are talking about.

I did the following.

1) copied my photo folder to somewhere else on the drive, out of my home directory.
    2) Deleted my referenced iPhoto library data.
    3) started up iPhoto to create a new empty library
    4) Imported all my photos per iPhoto's normal procedures.

iPhoto is working great, and I like it.

Wayne

3. Utterchaos23 thread starter macrumors member

Utterchaos23

the import opttion...

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the quick response....

I did think about the import option, but it's a last resort as I'd loose all me tags, modifications, faces and Facebook albums.

At the moment a fully managed iPhoto album is a "nice to have" and isn't worth the stress of re-importing 15,000+ photos !!

I do wonder why just replacing the aliases with the jpgs doesn't work though?

oh - have had an email from the Alias herder dev and it's not good news. Massive losses due to DOnate-ware means no more releases. :(

Cheers again for responding.

J

4. waynep macrumors 6502

I have 1000's of photos but had not gone through the faces work with iPhoto and such. I decided if I was going to switch to the Mac, then I was going to jump in the deep end with both feet. :)

Have fun

wayne

5. xmlking macrumors newbie

iPhoto Library Manager

check this link. iPhoto Library Manager may be a solution .

http://www.thefamilycurator.com/home/tag/iphoto-library-manager

6. morgusdas macrumors newbie

Hi Wayne,

thanks for the very clear instructions. I've got a similar problem - a messed up collection of managed and referenced photos, half of them iPhoto has lost the link to. I want to move them all to an external drive and start again with the library and photos managed on the external drive.

So what I've done is the following:
    • copied all the external folders containing referenced photos to the iPhoto library (using iPhoto), even if it creates a duplicate
    • made a backup of the whole pictures folder (including the referenced photos folders)
    • deleted all the other folders containing referenced photos (because now they're inside the iPhoto library)
    • ran a "find-duplicates" program (Araxis) and deleted duplicates from the iPhoto library

Next I will hide the iPhoto library from iPhoto, set up a new iPhoto library on the external HDD and add all the photos from the original iPhoto library to the new iPhoto library.

But here is my question: there is the additional challenge of the modified photos which are in the "Previews" folder in the original iPhoto library. If I simply add all the photos to the new library from the old one, iPhoto will not be able to distinguish the modified photos from the original ones. I expect that it will add them both since they have different modification dates... or will it treat them as duplicates?

Does anyone have any advice before I go ahead?