iPhoto '11 previews are higher quality than exports, fix?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by squeezy, Aug 6, 2011.

1. squeezy, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011

squeezy macrumors member

I have just now noticed this after using it for so long. I was using it to de-noise a photo I took earlier today and turned it up to 100%. I looks clean and smooth like I want, so I exported it first as a jpeg with max quality, but I noticed a lot of noise in it. So I exported it again as an original and it looks the same still.

EDIT-- I just exported it as Current to see if there is still noise, and there is. I have exhausted the other formats as well, all export with noise.

I put iPhoto in fullscreen mode and took a screen cap of the photo via cmd+shift+4, and compared the the screen cap to both of the exports and it looks much cleaner, even though its more than half the resolution being displayed.

This is not right, plain and simple.

Here are two links, one to the original export, and the other is a screen cap.

Original Export

Screen Cap

What am I doing wrong? Are my eyes playing tricks?

2. squeezy, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011

squeezy thread starter macrumors member

I have been trying to get good results using Photoshop, and it too has more noise than the iPhoto preview. I have tried Photoshop on both my Macbook Pro and PC, both yield the same results.

I plan on going to see an Apple Genius about this tomorrow if no one here has any idea what is causing this.

I have found Lightroom works well when I edit the photo in there and export it. It looks as I want it to. Though I would prefer to use iPhoto for such a simple edit, if anyone can help me resolve this I would greatly appreciate it.