iPhoto '11 slow to quit

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by icemantx, Sep 16, 2013.

1. icemantx macrumors regular

I have an early 2009 24" iMac with a DIY Fusion Drive (Crucial M4 256GB + Seagate 2TB HDD) and have some issues with iPhoto in particular. Performance of launching iPhoto improved with the fusion setup, but the quitting of the app still takes 10-15 seconds. If I create a brand new library it opens and closes in the blink of an eye.

I am not sure if this is just how iPhoto behaves when you have 49k photos over 190GB or not with a fusion drive setup. On a 2013 MacBook Air iPhoto closes instantly with about 30k photos in my Dad's library.

I have rebuilt the library with iPhoto Library Manager but still the performance is the same. Aperture closes instantly and shares the same library, so I am not sure what the deal is with iPhoto.

Any ideas?

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

With a 190gb library, it's unlikely that you're getting much benefit from the SSD portion of the fusion. The library is probably all sitting on the hard drive unless the system splits the different components on the 2 drives. An empty iPhoto library is definitely all on the SSD.

When I upgraded to a SSD, my iPhoto library was only about 25gb. The new drive made a huge difference in start up and shut down times of iPhoto.

3. icemantx thread starter macrumors regular

That is what I was thinking also. If I were to upgrade from the 256GB SSD in my iMac to a larger SSD such as the Crucial 480GB or 960GB I would imagine the Fusion setup would keep iPhoto data on the SSD since it is used often?

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I don't know enough about the details of how the fusion drive works but the library will have a better chance of being on the SSD with an adequately sized drive.

5. icemantx thread starter macrumors regular

I would think so too, however the logic or magic behind the fusion drive I don't understand. Last thing I want to do is buy a new SSD and have the same problem with iphoto launching and quitting. Would be nice to know what iPhoto is trying to do on shut down that creates the spinning wheel. Aperture does not have this issue.

6. icemantx thread starter macrumors regular

Problem solved. Turned off photo sharing in iPhoto and iTunes. Why this causes a slow down I am not sure but now speed is noticibly better when launching and closing iPhoto.