iPhoto '11 to Aperture 3

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dr. McKay, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Dr. McKay macrumors 6502a

Quick question : when you import an iPhoto 11 library into Aperture 3, does the whole library get copied ?
    My iPhoto library is 75Gb in size and my HD space is not unlimited...

2. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Yes it does get copied. Copy it, and then just delete your iPhoto library.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

Yes, you will have two copies until you delete the old iPhotoLibrary. If you lack the space for this then first move the iPhoto to an external disk.

In fact I would strongly recommend making at least two copies of your library to different disks and keeping each copy in the different location.

Finally only when you are happy with the way Apterure works delete the iPhoto library

4. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Or, you can keep portions of the iPhoto library for a spouse, etc., and you can use Aperture.

5. mikepro macrumors 6502

Note you can actually import your iPhoto library into Aperture without copying it, and leaving the iPhoto library in place. In fact, the Apple document on moving from iPhoto suggests trying this first to see how things import, if you like it, etc. If you do this it will leave the photos stored in iPhoto, but import all the faces, metadata info, and create the database in Aperture.

I did this when I was considering switching. Once I decided to make the move, I just created a new Aperture library, and then imported my iPhoto and chose to copy the images. Then, deleted the iPhoto library. I think I also had the choice of just relocating the masters into Aperture.