iPhoto 2.0.1 -> iPhoto 5.0

Kentczu10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2005
2
0
A simple (?) question: I purchased Panther right after it came on the market. Have updated ever since all progs and I am now using 10.3.8.

My friend sent me a CD-R 80 XL disk which includes hundreds of photos from our trip a while ago. I tried to get those into my iPhoto, but couldn't do that. So, it appeared that my friend has a new iMac with iLife on it and also his iPhoto version was 5.0. So, I wasn't able to transfer those photos on my computer.

Was it actually so that iLife was not included in Panther at the first edition? At least I was not able to find it. I got only iPhoto, iMovie and iTunes + other prog as well. Apple's normal policy?

Anybody could give any good advice how to transfer those CD photos (iPhoto 5.0) into my computer? My iPhoto 2.0.1 won't work with those. And I really wouldn't like to buy iLife right now as it should be included in Tiger? Or is it?

Any good advice are much appreciated. Thanks
 

wwooden

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2004
1,999
150
Burlington, VT
As is stated on these forums numerous times, Tiger itself will not include the new iLife 05'. It will include iLife 04'. Now, new computers that ship after Tiger is releases will include both Tiger and the new iLife. But if you buy Tiger by itself, it will not have iPhoto 5 or any of the new programs.
 

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
5,124
2
North Carolina
You might not be able to transfer the photo LIBRARY, but you should be able to transfer the photos. Aren't they just .JPGs? Have you tried dragging the photos onto your iPhoto icon? What about using the import command from within iPhoto? The only way I could see you having a problem with this is if the photos are in RAW format. Even then, your friend could export the photos to .JPG files and then you could put them in your version of iPhoto.
 

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
1,214
0
Switzerland
wwooden said:
It will include iLife 04'.
I don't think so. Why would they include iLife '04 with Tiger? Starting with iLife '04, the suite is a separate software bundle. Panther discs included iPhoto 2, iMovie 3 and iTunes 4 because those version were free.
 

wwooden

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2004
1,999
150
Burlington, VT
Zaty said:
I don't think so. Why would they include iLife '04 with Tiger? Starting with iLife '04, the suite is a separate software bundle. Panther discs included iPhoto 2, iMovie 3 and iTunes 4 because those version were free.
Well, since the don't sell iLife 04' anymore, my best guess is to assume they will incorporate it will the operating system disks.
 

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
8,089
4
Sol III - Terra
wwooden said:
Well, since the don't sell iLife 04' anymore, my best guess is to assume they will incorporate it will the operating system disks.
Pure assumption.

My guess is either the last free version or no version at all of anything except iTunes.
 

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
8,089
4
Sol III - Terra
dotdotdot said:
Or free trials? Do they do those?
Remember the iLife programs have come with Macs for a while now. So in essence, everyone has had access to some version of the applications to try.

You want to play with the latest versions, try them on a friends machine or go to an Apple Store (or other store that sells Macs).
 

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
767
0
Birmingham
The seeds of the Tiger betas did not contain any of the iLife apps except for iTunes.

This is not to be taken as being representative of the final version, but just offering this detail for whatever it's worth.
 

wwooden

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2004
1,999
150
Burlington, VT
thequicksilver said:
The seeds of the Tiger betas did not contain any of the iLife apps except for iTunes.

This is not to be taken as being representative of the final version, but just offering this detail for whatever it's worth.
They will obviously come with some of the iLIfe apps. I mean, I can put my panther CD's in my computer and it has iTunes, iPhoto and iMovie on it. I still think my guess that the iLife 04' edition being included with Tiger is correct, guess we will all know soon.
 

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
8,089
4
Sol III - Terra
wwooden said:
They will obviously come with some of the iLIfe apps. I mean, I can put my panther CD's in my computer and it has iTunes, iPhoto and iMovie on it. I still think my guess that the iLife 04' edition being included with Tiger is correct, guess we will all know soon.
Yes, but Panther came out before they started charging for iPhoto and iMovie. Yes, there was an iLife package before Panther, but it was only needed if you wanted iDVD (or didn't want to download iPhoto and iMovie).

So, your presumption that Tiger will come with more than just iTunes (of the iLife apps) is most likely incorrect.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.