iPhoto 2009 - "group" face detection?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kdesmarais, Jan 28, 2009.

1. kdesmarais macrumors newbie

Is it possible to define a new "Face" within "Faces" which is a Group of Faces? Given iPhoto ability to detect individual Faces so well, it would be great to have a feature to find photos that contain a specific set of faces, i.e. for finding family photos or photos of groups of friends.

Example: I already have a "Faces" defined for myself, my wife and 2 kids, I am interested in adding a "Faces" collection for my family, i.e. to automatically pull photos which include myself, my wife and 2 kids' faces. I does not seem like this would be a stretch since the face detection is already completed, just some added logic to look for photos which include the multiple defined faces.

Does this feature exist in iPhoto 2009? I could not find it.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I can't check where I am, but if you make a smart album, can you pick 'face' as one of the items in there now? If so, that will do it.

3. kdesmarais thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion - it works perfectly. When creating a Smart Album, you can use "Name" as one of the criteria which links to your "Faces".

4. Ganjuro macrumors newbie

Groups in Faces

Do you know if it is possible to group faces on the corkboard to address the issues of 100's of faces in a library. It appears that you can only have one library in iPhoto which means that all of your picture have to be in the same database. This means I have faces for my family, friends and work related faces on the same corkboard. As far as I can tell, I cannot make folders in faces to group them together. Is there some clever way to get around this. My corkboard faces do not fit on my screen at the smallest setting and full screen on a 30 inch monitor.

Thanks in advance,

Ganjuro

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Chances are, we won't see that until iLife '10 (or whatever the next version is). Apple doesn't generally add those features mid-cycle.

jW