Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InsiderTravels

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2003
Iowa
RAW isn't that kind of "format"

reykjavik said:
Maybe there is something I dont understand about digital phgotography, but if RAW is a mere file format, then why does iPhoto only take RAW from specific cameras? wouldn't that technically be the same as only importing jpg's from only specific cameras?? RAw is RAW is RAW, why should it matter what camera youre using??? (or am I totally wrong here?)

RAW itself isn't actually a format in the way that you're implying. RAW is an umbrella term used to describe each individual camera manufacturer's proprietary uncompressed image format; RAW just lumps them all into one as sort of the antithesis of JPG because they're all raw, uncompressed data. Canon's RAW files are *.CR2 in the newest cameras and *.CRW in some of the older ones. I believe Nikon uses *.NEF, and still other manufacturers have other formats. These are not interchangeable formats like *.JPG, *.TIF, etc.

Now if Adobe's new *.DNG (Digital Negative) format ever becomes widely accepted by camera manufacturers, then this may all be moot because then, a RAW file will be the same RAW file no matter which camera you use. But until that happens, if ever, image manipulation and management will unfortunately be more complicated than it has to be.

Somebody else may be able to explain it better, but hopefully this helps you. ;)

reykjavik

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2004
InsiderTravels said:
RAW itself isn't actually a format in the way that you're implying. RAW is an umbrella term used to describe each individual camera manufacturer's proprietary uncompressed image format; RAW just lumps them all into one as sort of the antithesis of JPG because they're all raw, uncompressed data. Canon's RAW files are *.CR2 in the newest cameras and *.CRW in some of the older ones. I believe Nikon uses *.NEF, and still other manufacturers have other formats. These are not interchangeable formats like *.JPG, *.TIF, etc.

Now if Adobe's new *.DNG (Digital Negative) format ever becomes widely accepted by camera manufacturers, then this may all be moot because then, a RAW file will be the same RAW file no matter which camera you use. But until that happens, if ever, image manipulation and management will unfortunately be more complicated than it has to be.

Somebody else may be able to explain it better, but hopefully this helps you. ;)

Actually that does clear it all up...thanks. Im using the S70 which I think may use the older format and Apple tackled the newer format first (or the opposite). Eventually theyll tackle all of them, just annoying to pay for an upgrade and not have it work on a Canon camera.

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
iPhoto 5 is awesome Horizontal Alignment

No bugs here - but one feature I want to throw kudos to those Apple guys for is the alignment tool on the adjustment sliders.

I have some great shots of the sun rise from the top of a volcano on Maui in Hawaii and while I know I could do the horizontal alignment on photoshop I've always been too laze to do that. Now it is just a quick slid left or right and viola a perfect photo....

Apple rocks!

ASP272 said:
I upgraded from iphoto 4 and didn't have any problems, but did notice some bugs in the new version. Hopefully this update will fix those.

mikeyrogers

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2004
Santa Monica, CA
I'm an iPhoto '04 upgrader. No deleted albums or photos here. Only thing was, when I was testing the books for the first time, it crashed, but it hadn't happened since. Even before 5.0.1.

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA
Upgraded from iPhoto 04 to '05, no problems here, just got the latest update, 5.01 and smooth as silk still..

(iMac G5) Funny thing is that my iMac shipped with iLife '04 installed, but came with iLife '05 on Cd in the box. I called Mac before I ordered and they told me that iLife '05 wont ship with new Macs for about 4-6 more months, not that I am complaining.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
*raises hand*

JGowan said:
It wasn't "uncool" and it wasn't a "beta product". It's a great product that might have a few bugs on certain systems. What other software doesn't have those. I don't know where you got your "hundreds/thousands" figures and I haven't read of the frustrating hours that you claim to have experienced from others.

It *IS* uncool, and it sure *FELT* like a beta product. Go to some photography forums, and you'll see a few posts about this problem. I have experienced it, and haven't yet gotten it to work. The symptom is that upgrading to iP '05 makes all your photos disappear from within iPhoto. You see a bunch of 'blank white' thumbnails, and when you try to open a picture, it comes up 'blank white'. Any ratings, notes, albums, etc are all still there, but no images. If you look in Finder at the iPhoto Library folder, the image files are still there, and they're fine. It's just that iPhoto has 'forgotten' how to find them.

This apparently stems from an issue with 'corrupt' libraries. A library can become corrupted in many different ways, most without the user ever knowing. (It turns out a few of my original image files had somehow disappeared from their place in the iPhoto Library folder; in iP '04, this shows up as an apparently valid thumbnail that when you double click on, comes up as a blank white image.) iP '05 has (hopefully had after this update,) issues updating corrupt libraries.

The solution is to:
1. Re-install iPhoto '04 (Good luck, I haven't sucessfully gotten it to install yet, even following all the directions I've seen elsewhere.)
2. Restore your iP '04 library from a backup (you did make a backup before upgrading, right? Once iP '05 'updates', it's too late.)
3. Use an undocumented method to re-index your library (Hold down Shift and Option while launching iPhoto. It will prompt you for a location to save your new library. Yes, it makes a completely new copy of your entire library; oh, and this new library will have all your roll information erased, and re-dated to the current date/time, so hopefully you don't actually rely on roll info.)
4. Now that you have a newly re-indexed iP '04 library, you can re-install iP '05 and have it upgrade this corrected library.

So far I have seen (including myself) 10-12 reports of this, in just two days of some mild searching for info about this problem. I can easily believe that hundreds have been affected; with the speed in which this patch has been released, it wouldn't surprise me if Apple received many calls on it. I know I emailed (and filed a crash report detailing it, as my iP '05 crashed when trying to import my library. When I restarted iP '05, I had the symptoms listed above.)

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Unfortunately it didn't fix the problem with Smart Albums and avis imported from canon powershots not showing up in the smart album.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Anonymous Freak said:
The solution is to:
1. Re-install iPhoto '04 (Good luck, I haven't sucessfully gotten it to install yet, even following all the directions I've seen elsewhere.)
2. Restore your iP '04 library from a backup (you did make a backup before upgrading, right? Once iP '05 'updates', it's too late.)
3. Use an undocumented method to re-index your library (Hold down Shift and Option while launching iPhoto. It will prompt you for a location to save your new library. Yes, it makes a completely new copy of your entire library; oh, and this new library will have all your roll information erased, and re-dated to the current date/time, so hopefully you don't actually rely on roll info.)
4. Now that you have a newly re-indexed iP '04 library, you can re-install iP '05 and have it upgrade this corrected library.

Or, as stated in the Apple Forums http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@957.c11Sabn1N4Z.4@.68a5a5bb you could just rebuild the 5.0.1 database after discovering your problem.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
The option to have your Background song sync to your slideshow does not work, before or after the update.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
RAW and iPhoto don't really go together if you know what i mean. I think iPhoto more as an organization and management tool than a photo editor. I use Photoshop to process my RAW files and I think everyone else should as well.

superfunkomatic

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
calgary, ab canada
no problem, from iphoto 4 to 5.0 to 5.01. no library problems, no glitches - a few quirks in the operation of the software though - but hey it's still relatively new.

for those crying the blues about losing files, or corruptions, the read the installation files first - it always says to back up before hand. an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure in this case. if you have GBs of photos, or even a few photos, you likely want to keep them, so common sense - back them up. if there's a problem you still have the originals to go back to.

plus, i'm not clairvoyant, but some of these seem ridiculously overexaggerated i.e. hundreds of thousands, not (trolls?).

happyadam

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2003
Leeds, UK
My experiences with iPhoto 5.0.1 ...

I wonder if others are sharing some of the issues that I have experienced with iPhoto 5.0.1:

1) Fit Slideshow to Music doesn't work - the music stops several photos short of the end of the slideshow (anywhere between 3-12 photos).

2) Export Slideshow to iDVD exports using only the NTSC format (it's not configurable) which means on a PAL based DVD the photos are all squished.

3) Importing RAW images from a Canon 300D (Digital Rebel) screws up the extracted dates by one month.

4) Photos viewed in edit mode and zoomed out fully look very blurred - if I zoom in a tiny bit, the result is a much sharper image.

I seem to be lucky though - many users are reporting problems getting the application started or upgrading their previous library.

I know several users who recently switched to Macs within the last couple of months (one who recently received a Mac mini) who are also struggling with iLife (iPhoto in particular) and are comparing their experiences with the Microsoft software they left behind. With the expected popularity of the Mac mini (with iLife 05 installed) it doesn't provide a welcoming impression to the world of Apple software.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
happyadam said:
4) Photos viewed in edit mode and zoomed out fully look very blurred - if I zoom in a tiny bit, the result is a much sharper image.

I've seen this to. It's always been a problem in iPhoto editing (according to the Apple forums), but I've never seen it probably because iPhoto editing wasn't worth using until now ;)

A secondary problem to this, is arbitrary zooming really hammers the editing performance. I find I can edit with the picture zoomed out fully, or zoomed in about 1/2 way but steps between are totally useless.

Zooming 1/2 way to get a clear picture, then doing the sharpening at that point seems to work quite well.

Also the red-eye fixing is useless. Every single time I've tried it 1/2 the face has been un red-eyed.

Other than that, I find the new editing tools very useful for the standard editing: straighten/fix exposure/sharpen. It gives me a workflow several times faster than having to go through photoshop, and the results seem at least as good.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Very interesting.

Apparently iPhoto now provides TIFF support. I tried in on a whim, saving a TIFF out of Photoshop, moving it back into iPhoto, editing, then pulling it back out again.

It all worked, and apparently remained in TIFF format. So you can now edit/save/redit in a lossless format!

bettinger

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2005
Texas
importing only specific pictures from camera

Does anyone else want the ability to only import some/specific pictures from your camera into iPhoto instead of the whole collection? I keep a lot of pictures on my camera but the main reason I don't like iPhoto is not being able to select specific or only the non-imported pictures.

I have been using the Canon camera software for a number of years because of this. I thought maybe iPhoto 5 would add this functionality but I guess not. I still use the canon software to import only new pictures then import them to iPhoto. Its a pain but oh well.

Just wondering anyone's thoughts on this.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
bettinger said:

Hmm, I've never really seen the problem.

If I only want to import some, I just open the mounted camera drive, then drag the photos I want into iPhoto, or more likely, import everything then delete what I don't want.

bettinger

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2005
Texas
If I do an import all, I end up with multiple copies of the same photo and too many to delete.

I never thought to open the mounted camera drive. I'll try that later today as I do not have my camera with me.

stcanard said:
Hmm, I've never really seen the problem.

If I only want to import some, I just open the mounted camera drive, then drag the photos I want into iPhoto, or more likely, import everything then delete what I don't want.

mslifkin

macrumors regular
May 14, 2004
New Jersey
bettinger said:
Does anyone else want the ability to only import some/specific pictures from your camera into iPhoto instead of the whole collection? I keep a lot of pictures on my camera but the main reason I don't like iPhoto is not being able to select specific or only the non-imported pictures.

I have been using the Canon camera software for a number of years because of this. I thought maybe iPhoto 5 would add this functionality but I guess not. I still use the canon software to import only new pictures then import them to iPhoto. Its a pain but oh well.

Hi,

You can use the Image Capture utility in the Applications folder to capture all, or only some of the images on your camera. You would actually open Image Capture and go into the Preferences to set what app launched when you connected your camera. The advantage to using Image Capture is that:

A) You have the option of assigning a color profile
B) You have the option of deleting the downloaded images from the camera
C) If you opt to download only some of the images, you'll see thumbnails of all the images on the camera, and you can pick which ones you want to download

What I typically do is to download all my images to an Originals folder on another hard disk, have Image Capture assign the Adobe RGB (1998) color space, and delete the images from the card. Once the images are in the Originals folder I select and drag them into iPhoto 05. I read somewhere that you can drag images onto the iPhoto icon on the Dock, and iPhoto will start (if it's not running already) and import the images. Pretty cool! Hope this helps.

Regards,
Marc

ijimk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2004
Here
Man apple stay on the ball with updating theeir software. I paln on buying ilfe 05 in the very near future. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.