iPhoto 5.0.3 Released

the_mole1314

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
Akron, OH
iPhoto Update 5.0.3 Now Out

For those who are having problems, it's out now through Software Update. It's a massive update, weighing in at 41 mb, TWICE THE SIZE OF 10.4.2!

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
They claim it fixes the color shift bug. Has anyone tested it yet to see if it actually does? I'm sure it does, but want to make sure and I'm at work awayfrom my Mac right now.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Hefty download. Hopefully this fixes a few of the glitches and speed problems I have been experiencing...

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Applespider said:
It did speed it up - mine opened much faster.

I'm not seeing a colour shift when I edit something in iPhoto any longer but those graphs are still changing!
Damn. I really thought they would have got this by now.
Oh well, there's always "Revert to original" :rolleyes:

AppleMatt

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001

iPhoto 5.0.3 is now in Software Update and available for download:
Recommended for all customers using iPhoto 5.0, 5.0.1 and 5.0.2, iPhoto 5.0.3 addresses issues with Tiger compatibility, Book and Print ordering, and Smart Albums.

Changes include:

- On Tiger, images are no longer color-shifted after editing
--(Mac OS X 10.4.2 update required)
- Book layouts will not change when moving an image on a page
- An issue was addressed that caused some book orders to be cancelled
- Smart Albums will display correctly in other iLife applications

DWKlink

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2003
New York, NY
My pictures used to maintain their color, but they would get like 5% brighter... can anyone confirm that this is fixed as well?

Makosuke

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Well, this is a relief, though it seems like it shouldn't have taken this long. Does this require 10.4.2? (If the fix required a corresponding OS fix, then that'd explain the delay.)

As far as the colour issues go, I'm no longer seeing a colour shift with the naked eye when you adjust and click Done... but the histograms are still indicating some change.
Since the changed photograph must be recompressed, isn't it likely that that's what you're seeing in the histogram? Another run through a JPEG compressor will probably cause some impreceptable shifts that a histogram will pick up.

I do hope that all those people who made a fuss last night about 10.4.2 not fixing the iPhoto color bug note that, as others guessed, the fix required an iPhoto update. Jumping to conclusions just makes you look silly in the long run.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Makosuke said:
Well, this is a relief, though it seems like it shouldn't have taken this long. Does this require 10.4.2? (If the fix required a corresponding OS fix, then that'd explain the delay.)
Yes, you need to update both OS X and iPhoto to get the fix.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
I am just glad that the color issue is finally fixed. That was annoying the hell outta me.

Hickman

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
An excellent patch to match 10.4.2, I opened iPhoto and one bounce it was there even my mass amount of photos appeared within a couple of seconds, I'm very impressed.

tj2001

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2003
Florida - USA
Rebuild Options...

Not sure if many know this but if you hold Apple+Option you are presented with a dialog for rebuilding of the data.

Now when I last used this it seemed to have put duplicates in my Library of images I edited (rotated, color enhanced, red-eyed, etc.). Is this fixed. I had to manually go through my collection and delete all the duplicates; big ole pain in the arse.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Applespider said:
It did speed it up - mine opened much faster.

I'm not seeing a colour shift when I edit something in iPhoto any longer but those graphs are still changing!
Damn. They have had a long time to fix what is a pretty high use App and its still buggy :(

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Makosuke said:
Since the changed photograph must be recompressed, isn't it likely that that's what you're seeing in the histogram? Another run through a JPEG compressor will probably cause some impreceptable shifts that a histogram will pick up.
Oh, good point. Does anyone want to try this on a non-compressed format to check this out? I would but I don't have a camera that does RAW.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
I would guess that makosuke's analysis is corrrect. The graph would likely change because of the file format being jpeg. Could someone not test this in Photoshop or a Panther version of iPhoto and see if it does the same thing?

dmbfan

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2004
The fixed the "lightening" bug!

Finally, I can use iPhoto! It used to add an extra touch of lighting/brightening every time I saved my adjustments. Someone else in this thread mentioned this...well, it is fixed for me!

And, it opens quicker - only one bounce in the dock - it used to be 3 or 4 for me on my Mac Mini with about 4000 pics.

:)

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Applespider- what sort of edit did you make? Did you just do like a 1 pixel crop or something more drastic?

Janakin

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2005
Tokyo, Japan
Fixed and faster

Like others have posted, on my my Powerbook (see sig) there is no more adjustment upon saving edits to photos. I only tested jpg's. iPhoto used to take at least 20 seconds to launch and beachball while doing so slowling down everything in general while launching. This time there was only about 2 seconds of beach ball and it launched in about 6 seconds with 5,388 photos.

Finally.

Now if you could only resize photos and actually for the love of Buddha change the actual file names, iPhoto might be useful.

deathb

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2005
Memory problems not fixed

iPhoto 5 is still a huge memory hog. I had hopes that this fix might bring it back to as good as 4 or 3, but alas. Starting iPhoto takes 875MB of my 1GB of physical memory as well as another couple hundred MB of swap. When can we finally have an iPhoto Pro which can handle a medium size library? (About 7,000 photos in my case) Or at least a port of Picassa?

dav

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2004
Janakin said:
and actually for the love of Buddha change the actual file names, iPhoto might be useful.
Amen.

Besides this, iPhoto works well for me

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
My wife is downloading the iPhoto 5.0.3 currently. So far so good. Apple is certainly having a flurry of updates this week, along with a rise in the stock price.