iPhoto 5.0.4 Released

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Now available in your Software Update:
iPhoto 5.0.4 addresses an issue with browsing photos that have been auto-rotated by a camera.
The update is also availble for download from the Apple website.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Ditto for me and my Cannon Dig. Rebel. Not every rotated photo got screwed up though - very odd. I use Portfolio for my main image management system but also use iPhoto for easy slideshows and iDVD integration.

aegisdesign

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
Odd. It's 41MB for me updating from 5.03 in Software Update. 41MB to fix an image rotation bug is taking the biscuit slightly. They really should modularise it more.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Geez, that seems like a rather large file for an update of this nature! Ah well, whatever it takes - I know a lot of people who have been complaining about this bug, so it's nice to see it's finally fixed! :)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
This is good news...even though I hardly use iPhoto, or any other iLife apps besides iTunes.

EDIT: Interesting...the update is 41.0 MB for me in Software Update. I wonder why this is.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
aricher said:
Ditto for me and my Cannon Dig. Rebel. Not every rotated photo got screwed up though - very odd. I use Portfolio for my main image management system but also use iPhoto for easy slideshows and iDVD integration.
Hmm. Interesting.

The only annoying issue I've run into with my EOS (300D, original model, not XT) is that if I import into iPhoto and then iPhoto crashes (I still haven't figured out why it does that periodically) before I've quit/restarted, then the auto-rotation info is gone. Well, not really "gone", in that the picture itself is still properly rotated, but the thumbnails are all back to portrait mode. If I go into the picture itself and make any kind of edit, the thumbnail gets rotated back right, except there's now a large white "portrait" shaped bounding box around it ... only real solution has been to export the photos back out and import them in again.

Maybe the update will fix this. OTOH, I've taken to quitting immediately after import anyways (I import about 200+ pictures at a time ... rotating them by hand is a PITA!) just to avoid this. Maybe I'll have to tempt fate and see if I can get iPhoto to crash for me again ...

Gorbag

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2003
West London
nightdweller25 said:
Oh thank God, I hated this bug, iPhoto is now virtually bugless for me. :D :D :D
Wish i could say the same. The red-eye removal is very patchy. sometimes it works fine, sometimes it deposits dark patches on other parts of the image than where it's supposed to be.
It is still slow on both my G4 533 1 GB and my girlfriend's iMac G5 2Ghz which SURELY should be fast enough. Hell Photoshop works faster on my machine than iPhoto does on hers. Really think Apple need to work out why this app is so slow, and inaccurate.

Also noticed an odd bug the other day, concerning rotation within iPhoto, that disappeared whan i zoomed in on a shot to try and de red-eye it.

Will download the latest version and see if it helps, but i suspect from the description that it wont.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I think download sizes reflect the version you are starting from so they can vary from one person to the next.

iDM

macrumors 6502a
Does anyone else get really excited when their are iPhoto updates? I don't think this really will fix much for me but hey any fixes to iPhoto are just as exciting as Security updates and even OSX updates! Hell iPhoto updates are better then those Mac Mini or iBook updates!

nightdweller25

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2005
nightdweller25 said:
Oh thank God, I hated this bug, iPhoto is now virtually bugless for me. :D :D :D
I take it back, there is still that one bug that if I rotate an image up to the 3rd rotation, I get a white blank, and rotate it again and it's back!:confused: So yeah, still that one bug... :mad:

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2003
Somewhere in the USA
Macrumors said:

Now available in your Software Update:

The update is also availble for download from the Apple website.
iPhoto 5.0.3 is 176.6 MB. The 5.0.4 update in my Software update is 41.0 MB. Do you mean to tell me that nearly 25% of the program needed to be changed to fix one thing?

Are Apple already using universal binaries on iPhoto?? In any case, I'm sure modem users aren't too happy...

Gorbag

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2003
West London
Doctor Q said:
I think download sizes reflect the version you are starting from so they can vary from one person to the next.
41 Mb for me, and i was going from 5.0.3. surely we don't have to download the that much of the app each time there is an update?????

Gorbag

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2003
West London
raggedjimmi said:
...modem... users...??
Hmmn, i'm almost thinking of going back to a modem, given that my Bulldog ADSL line seems to drop approximately every 40 seconds in the evening, and at night. i.e. when i most want to use it.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
autrefois said:
iPhoto 5.0.3 is 176.6 MB. The 5.0.4 update in my Software update is 41.0 MB. Do you mean to tell me that nearly 25% of the program needed to be changed to fix one thing?

Are Apple already using universal binaries on iPhoto?? In any case, I'm sure modem users aren't too happy...
Umm, remember they aren't patching bytecode within iPhoto.

The download would be the entirety of whatever library contains that code, plus the installer code to do the necessary checks and balances.

If that library happens to contain, say, the image editing library, then 41MB is fairly small.

Elektronkind

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2003
Baltimore, MD
autrefois said:
From a coder's standpoint, you have a kind of simpleton reasoning here, so let me shed some light on why a "one little 'ol change" means a 41MB download in this case.

iPhoto, as an application package, has total installed size of around 150MB. This includes many things such as support files (international language customizations for iPhoto menus and dialogues and similar support resource files) as well as the iPhoto program itself and any support programs.

The biggest single file in the iPhoto application package is the executable binary file itself... this is the program that is iPhoto. This is what you see running in a process listing. Its size is around 40MB, and this is also where the seemingly tiny little fix is located.

Now, with these binary files, you can't (in a reasonable fashion) replace little bits and pieces of it. It's more reliable to replace the whole thing. This is why you have a 41MB file waiting for you.

Please remember last time that rarely are the changes in direct proportion to the size of the update... not on such a small scale such as this instance.

/dale

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
iDM said:
Does anyone else get really excited when their are iPhoto updates? I don't think this really will fix much for me but hey any fixes to iPhoto are just as exciting as Security updates and even OSX updates! Hell iPhoto updates are better then those Mac Mini or iBook updates!
Well, maybe not like Scooby-doo lunging for a Scoobie snack excited, but I really enjoy iPhoto a lot - using it has changed the way I store photos and images, and it's my favorite iLife application.

raggedjimmi said:
...modem... users...??
Better start now to be done before the weekend! Seriously, though... Given that the majority of the computer-using universe doesn't have broadband, a download of almost 40MB does seem a little silly. It's almost the same size as some OS revisions...

Elektronkind

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2003
Baltimore, MD
stcanard said:
Umm, remember they aren't patching bytecode within iPhoto.

The download would be the entirety of whatever library contains that code, plus the installer code to do the necessary checks and balances.

If that library happens to contain, say, the image editing library, then 41MB is fairly small.
Yeah, the iPhoto binary contains everything except the mechanism which converts PhotoCD-format pictures. A separate binary handles this (apparently it is lifted from the NetPBM suite of free image conversion tools)

/dale

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
Perfect timing

Until last night I had never encountered an iPhoto bug. Granted I've only had my Powershot A95 for about 6 months and don't use it a ton. I just got back from a long weekend vacation on Lake Michigan near Mackinaw City and imported 124 pictures and started crashing like mad when browsing through them. I was going to downgrade to 5.0.2 but now I don't have to do that. Woohoo!

Thank you, Apple.