iPhoto 5.0.4 won't open since iPhoto 6 linked by firewire (oops)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by VersionClash, Jun 24, 2010.

1. VersionClash macrumors newbie

I hope someone knows what I can do to retrieve my 9,000 well organized photos. I connected my PowerBook G4 (iPhoto 5.0.4) by Firewire to iBook (iPhoto 6) and transferred document files. That went well, but I later re-connected them the WRONG WAY around (iBook to PowerBook) and must have sent photos the wrong way. Now the PowerBook says: 'You can't open your current photo library using this version of iPhoto. You have made changes to your photo library using a newer version of iPhoto. Please quit and use the latest version of iPhoto.'
    The iBook also seems to have lost the 9,000 photos I thought I had sent to it - but it can deal with scanned photos and new imports from my camera. The iBook G4 is 14", OSX 10.3.9, 1.33 GHz CPU speed and 512Mb memory. PowerBook G4 is 15", OSX 10.4.11, 1.67 GHz CPU speed 1 GB memory. I have the photos backed up on an external drive - but they are not organized into folders.
    I hope someone can advise how I can get the PowerBook OR the iBook to open and read my Photo Library in the previously well-organised folder set-up. I don't have iLife re-install discs for either computer.

2. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Did you overwrite the iPhoto Library folder when you transfered it? If not, then hold down the option key when launching iPhoto and choose the library you want.

If you did overwrite it, then you have two options: 1) buy a new copy of iLife and when iPhoto launches it will update the library, or 2) just import them from your backup and redo your albums and folders.

3. VersionClash thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, spice weasel

Hello spice weasel
    I tried the option key and nothing changed, so I guess I must have overwritten it.
    :eek:

Thank you for your 'Plan B' options.

I think I'd better try to buy iPhoto 6.0, the same as the iBook has, in case a later version confuses matters even more.

Cheers
    VC