iPhoto 6.06 problem with external drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jblum, Jul 1, 2008.

1. jblum macrumors newbie

I've been using my external Lacie FW drive for my iPhoto library. It accidentally got unmounted while I had iPhoto open, and now when I open iPhoto, all I get is thumbs and photos without any photos present.

I have tried rebuilding and all 4 options that you get when you hold CMD-Option. I have searched the support DB with Apple and find nothing. The strange thing is each thumb has the meta-tag present in the "Info" menu, such as name, date, size, ect... but none of the pictures show. I have tried to mount and unmount the HD, create new libraries and the like, but it is as if the library won't reload a new library. Also, when I rebuild, it says it will take a while, but it only takes 15 seconds, so I don't think its actually rebuilding.

I am totally stuck. I think I've tried everything. Any suggestions?

2. jblum thread starter macrumors newbie

One more thing I noticed...

...my iPhoto application is 580mb. I'm not sure about the inner workings of iPhoto, but this seems bug to me. I thought all the data was stored externally and the program was just a reader for the data. I have some slideshows and books that I don't want to loose. Any suggestions given all this?

3. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

You could copy the library over to another iPhoto Library folder and use a helper program like iPhoto Buddy to mount the new folder.

4. jblum thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

That is so amazing. I think iPhoto Buddy is the BEST singular piece of freeware I've ever seen. WOAH! Problem solved, thanks so much!