Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbrain

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
North-East, UK
Hi,

I remember watching the Time Machine Sneak Peak a while ago, and in the video, it showed iPhoto 6 being taken up into Time Machine.

I have just tried to do this, but iPhoto is not taken up, instead, a new finder window opens and that gets taken up into Time Machine.

Do I need to upgrade to iLife '08 to take advantage of iPhoto with Time Machine? If so, what is iLife '08 like?

Thanks.

lioneltz

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2007
it has to be iPhoto '08. I think its worth the $s

I'm using iPhoto 08, version 7.02 and I have exactly the same problem with cbrain, so I don't think this has something todo with iPhoto 08. This really drives me crazy as it would be very difficult - not to say impossible - to restore just certain photos from Finder.

I don't know what is wrong with this Time Machine - iPhoto integration. There's nothing excluded in TimeMachine's option except its own harddrive. My iPhoto library is in its default location (home/user/pictures/).

What else could be wrong here?

mickhyperion

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2004
Do we know for sure that it has to be iPhoto '08 that will work with Time Machine? I realize this is a logical assumption, but I can't find any documentation anywhere stating that. I can definitely say though that I am unable to get iPhoto '06 to work with it.

Anyone know where the specs are that list this requirement for Time Machine? Or has anyone using iPhoto '06 been able to get it to work with Time Machine?

cbrain

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
North-East, UK
Do we know for sure that it has to be iPhoto '08 that will work with Time Machine? I realize this is a logical assumption, but I can't find any documentation anywhere stating that. I can definitely say though that I am unable to get iPhoto '06 to work with it.

Anyone know where the specs are that list this requirement for Time Machine? Or has anyone using iPhoto '06 been able to get it to work with Time Machine?

I now have iPhoto 7 ('08) and it does work with Time Machine.

mickhyperion

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2004
^ That's great, congrats!

I'm not sure that in itself verifies that iPhoto '06 absolutely won't work though. I'm not wanting to be obstinate about it, I just wish Apple would provide some mention in its documentation that iPhoto '08 is required. At this point, I'm not sure if '06 isn't working because it's outdated or because I have my iPhoto library on an external drive or for some other reason.

If anyone with '06 has gotten it to work with Time Machine, please chime in!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.