iPhoto 7.0.1 already out, plus early iLife '08 comments

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Anonymous Freak, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Yes, indeed, time to check Software Update all you iLife '07 early adopters!

iPhoto 7.0.1:
    And I must say I am so far only slightly impressed by iPhoto '08. Some features are incredible new additions, others are annoying oversights. I've been using iPhoto with my library hosted on a networked drive (AirPort Disk, to be precise,) and it is (rather obviously) slower than a direct-connect drive, but usable. iPhoto '08 doesn't even want to admit that it can open network-connected libraries. (It wouldn't let me select it until I tried to directly double click on the library, then it still wouldn't open it directly, but would let me pick it from the "Choose Library" screen when it wouldn't before trying to directly double click it.) In iPhoto 6, it took about 10-20 seconds to open my library after clicking iPhoto in the dock (I have over 10,000 pictures,) in iPhoto 7, it took 10 minutes the first open over the 'net, and a good 30 seconds now. Photocasts are now a thing of the past, in favor of Web Galleries. Your old Photocasts are still active, and can be updated, but you can't create new ones; and once you "unpublish" a Photocast, it's gone. So while iPhoto '08 is the biggest upgrade since version 1, it's also the most frustrating. (Aside from the iPhoto '05 update that killed my library, but that was a data corruption issue, not an inherent design issue.)

iTunes still doesn't really recognize an iPhoto library that is anywhere other than ~/Pictures (I didn't expect iLife '08 to fix that, but it would have been nice.)

iMovie requires a 1.9+ GHz G5!! Even a dual 1.8 Power Mac G5 won't cut it, you need a 1.9 GHz iMac G5 or a dual 2.0 GHz Power Mac G5. (Really, is 100 MHz less, but dual cores, that much of a deal breaker?) And iMovie's new 'browser' functionality is incredible, although it won't index existing iMovie projects in-place, it only gives you the option of importing them. (Meaning you would double up on the data until it's done importing, in which case you can delete the original iMovie project. Not too useful for me when I have 60 GB of iMovie projects on a hard drive with only 50 GB free; no room to duplicate them.) Another gripe I've had for some time is iLife's (really the underlying QuickTime,) inability to do anything with MPEG-1 multiplexed video, such as that produced by Sony digital still cameras in video mode. (Most digicams use Motion JPEG, or some newer ones do MPEG-4, but even Sony's newest still cams produce MPEG-1 that is uneditable, even though it SHOULD be transcodeable.)

Haven't really played with GarageBand, as I didn't really do anything with it before, either. (I am completely non-music-producing, in spite of everyone else in my family being an excellent musician. But I do have a good ear for listening to music.)

iWeb is the least touched. Minor, but good updates. I just wish .Mac Domain Hosting supported email in addition to web. The Web Widgets are a nice addition, but not something absolutely amazing. The big new nice thing is that individual blog entries now have readable URLs, instead of long strings of seemingly random letters and numbers.

(P.S. You can read this post on my .Mac "Web Journal" (I refuse to use the word 'blog' to refer to anything I do,) too.)

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for the insight :)

and your "web journal" link doesn't work

3. Anonymous Freak thread starter macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

It should. It works for me, and I've already got more hits than my previewing alone can account for.

4. Mac In School macrumors 65816

It works. It's just a really slow host that times out a lot. I visited earlier today, and it took me 3 tries to get in.

5. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Blog or not, the page doesn't exist. ;)

6. Anonymous Freak thread starter macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Very odd. It works over my home Comcast connection, over a friend's Comcast connection on the other side of town, over a Qwest DSL connection here in town, over a Comcast connection in another state, and over AT&T's EDGE network (iPhone, dear holy $deity, is my site painfully slow over EDGE.) I noticed that the new iWeb changes the raw URLs (they used to have /iWeb in them after the user name,) so I had to change my domain host forward,) but that shouldn't affect the straight-to-.Mac link I used in my post.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

link works fine for me. thanks for the info though. i'll get to play around with it today so i'm looking forward to seeing whats improved.

8. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

This address: http://web.mac.com/ehurtley/hurtley...8/7_The_iLife_and_iTrials_of_iLife_%9108.html still gives me this:

Attached Files:

9. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

.Mac has been having issues since yesterday... I think too many people are hitting the servers trying to upload pictures to their web galleries.

I am really digging the new iPhoto. It has fixed most of my complaints. The new keyword shortcuts are awesome, but they took away the ability to drag photos to keywords, which I think is silly.

Garageband updates are fun, but Magic Garageband is kind of dumb. I guess it is good for someone who doesn't know anything about making music.

New iMovie is amazing, and makes me wish I actually had a video camera!

10. Anonymous Freak thread starter macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Very odd, the URL I go to when I click on my own link above is http://web.mac.com/ehurtley/hurtley...7/8/7_The_iLife_and_iTrials_of_iLife_‘08.html, which works. Yet you are getting a URL that replaces the apostrophe with a %91. (Note that it's an "open single quote", which is *NOT* the "apostrophe" that is on the same key as the "quote", nor the "backtick", which is on the same key as the tilde ~, which isn't a typographical character that should ever get used.)

I gather you are not using Safari, and your other browser doesn't accept the symbol in a URL. I'll see if I can convince iWeb to turn off smart quotes and use the much more commonly accepted apostrophe instead of the goofy open single quote.

edit: AHA! I have found that the following link works in Firefox http://web.mac.com/ehurtley/hurtley...7/8/7_The_iLife_and_iTrials_of_iLife_‘08.html. Where your browser replaces the quote with %91, it appears that it's way more complex than that, needing %E2%80%98 !

11. Anonymous Freak thread starter macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I've discovered another couple glaring flaws in iMovie. No 'effects', no 'themes'. They make it completely non-backward compatible with the previous iMovie. It doesn't really "open" an iMovie file so much as it imports the clips. If it runs across a transition that's not in the new iMovie, it replaces it with a simple fade (iMovie 7 has a lot fewer transitions, too.) It ignores any effects you had applied (grayscale, sepia tone, slowing, speeding up, or the silly ones like lens flare or lightning bolt.) While some of these can be duplicated with the new (and appreciated!) 'Adjust Video' tool, but unless its "color related", it's gone. And the whole themeing to match iDVD is gone as well. I actually liked having the themed 'chapter breaks' for some of my longer videos. (When they first came out, I will admit that I overused them, but I learned to tone it down later.) I liked using the 'speed up' and 'slow down' on my kid's soccer games. Keeps the video mildly entertaining during the boring parts, and adds some drama to the exciting parts. (Also useful to make VERY MINOR speed changes to make a clip's pace match a song used for the soundtrack, too.)

I love the interface, but miss the "fluff" features. It's for amateurs, home video takers, we need the fluff to prevent our video from looking like complete garbage! :D