iphoto 7, 8, 9... library management help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by whyrichard, Sep 19, 2009.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello,

I have a macbook with iphoto 7, i used migration assistant when i just got my new mac pro, which has iphoto 8 on it. (why not 9? i just bought it a few weeks ago!)

Now my macbook for some reason cannot access it's iphoto library, saying that the library is for a new version...

should i have gotten iphoto 9 with the purchase of my new mac pro (at least at a discount?)

thanks,

r.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

iPhoto 7 was part of iLife '08, its also known as iPhoto '08. iPhoto 8 is part of iLife '09, thusly iPhoto '09. You have the latest retail release of iPhoto. Have you updated your version of iPhoto to 8.1? This can be verified by getting info on /Applications/iPhoto.app. If the update doesn't fix it or if you have already updated, create a new library by holding option while launching iPhoto. Does it open up ok, albeit with a blank library? Quit and relaunch iPhoto holding option. Re-select your original library, same thing? If so, exit iPhoto again, relaunch holding both option and :apple: this time, and select the 4th and 5th options to examine the library permissions, and try restoring the iPhoto library from backup. If that doesn't resurrect it you're looking at a manual rebuild; see the Additional Information section. The manual rebuild will essentially lobotomize your library, clearing most of the metadata (faces/places) and your albums/print projects. If you get to this point a simpler option may be to restore the library from a Time Machine backup. You have been backing up with Time Machine, right?