iPhoto 8.0.2 Update Breaks iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DanielMyst777, Mar 26, 2009.

1. DanielMyst777 macrumors member

I have just installed the iPhoto 8.0.2 update on my Powerbook G4 and, after 5 seconds of opening the application, it crashes/hangs. I have to force quit it in order to exit out of it.

I have modified the slideshow files so that all the slideshows can play on my powerbook g4 if that helps at all.

If I revert back to 8.0 or 8.0.1, iPhoto doesn't crash.

Anyone else experience this yet?

2. GTDaveMac macrumors regular

Yep... but I'm on a Macbook Pro. Lasts 5-10 seconds before crashing.

I tried to go in and turn off mobilme updates to see if that was it... then repaired permissions, etc.

Still crashing

3. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

Was the update just released today? Mine is still 8.0.1

4. jeremybuff macrumors regular

Could you provide a bit more information in regards to your systems? I am curious as to anyone with my UMBP (in sig) has experienced this, what other systems, etc.

5. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

I havent installed it. Im scared now lol

6. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

Well, I told it to install... Waiting for the download to finish.

I'll post the results when it's done :)

7. rmb7984 macrumors regular

rmb7984

No problems here. Just named faces and posted photos to my MobileMe gallery for about and hour. Late 2007 Macbook 2.2.

8. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

Ill try to update it. Can you reroll your updates if something is wrong with the update?

9. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

10. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

Just updated mine too and played around with it using places, faces and etc and its working fine :)

11. GTDaveMac macrumors regular

12. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

works great here. Since it can pull the contacts in from the address book, why can't it save the persons photo to their contact entry?!??!??

13. GTDaveMac macrumors regular

No luck with the rebuild.... iPhoto works fine for other users using same Library.

Maybe it's time for a plist deletion.... nope. No luck. As soon as I select the old library, crash.

14. jeremybuff macrumors regular

On my UMBP (in sig) the update worked flawlessly..

15. Schroeder macrumors newbie

I have the same problem here on a MBP 2,5Ghz. Crash after about 5 to 10 seconds.

How can i revert to 8.01 - just replace the new file with the old one via Time Machine?

16. GTDaveMac macrumors regular

Fixed

I think it has to do with permissions problems having the iPhoto library in /Users/Shared.

I've now read that this is not supported. Hmm.
    I would have thought the repair options would have fixed it, but it seems the only way was to correct some ACLs...

In terminal: (replace Username)

sudo chmod -R +a "Username allow list,add_file,search,add_subdirectory,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity" /Users/Shared/iPhoto\ Library

17. DanielMyst777 thread starter macrumors member

Possible Fix

I've been reading around on the Apple forums and it seems that if you disconnect your Mac from the internet and launch iPhoto 8.0.2, it won't crash.

Haven't tried it yet but can anyone report success with it?

18. Iroganai macrumors regular

Iroganai

I'm having the same problem, it stops responding after ten seconds or something, and the spinning beach ball of death(tm) appears.

I reverted back to 8.0.1; I'd really love to know what causes this problem in 8.0.2.

19. peterwalberg macrumors newbie

iPhoto Update 8.0.2 Breaks iPhoto

My case is a little different but equally hosed- I'm running a MacPro 3 Ghz Quad Core with 6 GB - after the update I get nothing in the main window until I go into the preferences (anywhere), then all of a sudden the left navigation shows up, and, when I'm lucky, the events. Can't access any events at all, and the camera that synced up perfectly for years is not recognized.
    I have gone all the way back to version 8.0, permissions, disk utilities, etc. etc. Nothing makes any difference.

Thanks Apple. Nice work for a standard update.

20. ibjammin macrumors newbie

:confused:
    I'm a real NEWBIE . . . does the above change the permissions and username leaving iPhoto under Users/Shared? Or does it change permissions AND move iPhoto to \Library?

21. GTDaveMac macrumors regular

Neither... this is used to reset ACL (access control lists) if you've already moved your iPhoto library to /Users/Shared/iPhoto Library

There is no \Library in the command... it's "iPhoto\ Library". The \ is to tell terminal that the space is still part of the path.