iphoto - accessing one library for multiple macs on a network?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrklaw, Oct 26, 2008.

1. mrklaw macrumors 65816

Hi

about to buy a MBP and will donate my current macbook to my wife. I'm usually the one organising and editing the photos for the family, but I'd like her to have access to them to at least view them on her macbook.

Can I just copy the library to a network drive (where my music and videos are currently) and then both of us can access it? If so, what will the repercussions be for speed and responsiveness for me (I'll want it to be able to open files reasonably quickly)

alternatively, can I occasionally export edited family photos somewhere on the network in a format that she can easily see? I'm thinking something equivalent to a 'watch folder' where I dump photos and they automatically show up in some kind of viewer for her.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Hey there :)
    There are a couple ways to go about this, one is to simply share the library for viewing (you don't have to place it on a network drive) or if you want to share it for editing as well, there is yet another. For your reading pleasure: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=iPhoto/7.0/en/6371.html

and last but not least

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1198

The second article is assuming that its going to be for editing/viewing on the same computer but the principles apply for a network shared drive as well.

3. mrklaw thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks.

first one sounds like I need to leave my computer on, which isn't an option.

second one looks like it'd work if I have my library on a USB HDD attached to my time capsule.

but then any photo I want to view will be coming over my network. So (a) possibly slow and (b) they aren't available to view when the computer is out of the home.

What if I just exported those photos that my wife is likely to want to see? Then reimport them into iphoto? That way we also have a backup of the important ones I guess.