iPhoto Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by erad2010, Oct 28, 2011.

1. erad2010 macrumors newbie

I hate iPhoto. It's slow and provides lovely headaches. Does anyone know of any (cheap) alternatives to help merge between my iPhone and Mac better than iPhoto?

2. szolr macrumors 6502

I'm sorry, but if you hate any iLife app you shouldn't be using a Mac...

3. erad2010 thread starter macrumors newbie

I love the rest of iLife..iPhoto just is way too laggy for me. I don't even have that many photos (less than 750MB). It also decides to make duplicates for no reason.

Besides, not enjoying iLife is my preference. I happen to love Pages and Keynote and would never go near Word or Powerpoint. Plus Final Cut Pro is so fun. So just because I don't like one app does not correlate to possessing a Mac.

4. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

5. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I agree. Picasa is a great free alternative. It has pretty decent functionality, and is generally only a generation or so behind iPhoto with features.

6. szolr macrumors 6502

Now it would have been helpful if you'd said that in your first post. I would have responded very differently. Of course with less than 1 GB of photos iPhoto is over the top. So's Picasa to be honest. So are all iPhoto alternatives. You don't need a photo management solution! You may need a photo editing bit of software (in which case pick a version of Photoshop-this would probably help with your movie work as you're using Final Cut too.)

One thing's for sure-the alternative for you is not Aperture pr Lightroom. ;) They're for libraries a LOT bigger than 1 GB. lol