iPhoto Alternatives

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Azmordean, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Azmordean macrumors 6502

Hey all..

I'm wondering if there are any iPhoto alternatives out there that are cheap or free. I like the looks of iPhoto 08 but I have to buy iLife to get it and I'll never touch any of the other programs in the iLife suite. iMovie would be okay but it won't work on my Power Mac G5 Single 1.8, and the others programs I have no use for. So I'd only use iPhoto. And $80 seems a bit expensive for just iPhoto. So.. is there anything out there that does something similar to what iPhoto does, but for less cost? Also, maybe something that doesn't have quite so whacky a directory structure to it?

Any advice would be appreciated! I was thinking about a program called Lightbox but it sounds like they aren't updating that anymore..

2. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

3. Azmordean thread starter macrumors 6502

Unless I am missing something that is Windows only at current...

4. TheStu macrumors 65816

I thought they introduced a Linux version... but regardless, you are right it is not OS X.

5. jwt macrumors 6502

iMovie 06 is a free download for iLife 08 people with machines that don't support iMovie 08, if that helps sweeten the deal.

6. Integer macrumors newbie

I don't use it myself, but my mother uses Kodak Easyshare. It seems to have all the requisites - import from camera, catalogue/organize, and a web gallery feature. See here:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14991/kodak-easyshare

7. Macsterling macrumors regular

Macsterling

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

try photopresenter. You can find it in the apple downloads section. Its pretty cool and free as well.

8. palmerized macrumors regular

Check out: Adobe Lightroom, Apple Aperture or Adobe Bridge (comes w/Photoshop). All are very good.

And no, there is no version of Picasa for OS X.

One other solution is using the Finder for viewing images. It's fast, free, and you can see fairly large thumbnails of your images.