Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CanMPB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
Hi Everyone,

just got my MPB last week. Its been a long time (10+ years) since I have been on a mac platform. Anyways, I have been looking around the forums, but I am in need a assistance with a minor, but annoying, issue. Prior to my MBP I had been downloading my pictures from by Canon powershot into my Toshiba laptop using Canon's proprietary software. I would keep the pictures on the memory card and the software would just download the newly taken shots. Now, when I am using iPhoto or Aperture, every-time I take a couple additional pictures and hook it up to my MBP it downloads all the pictures again! So, if I have 700+ pictures on the card, it goes through the whole re-loading. When I start the in iPhoto, it asks me for the first picture if I want to download the duplicates, and I say "no" (and click the little box to apply to all pictures), but it still downloads the rest.

Is there a setting somewhere that I am missing? I have googles the problem and see that there is an Iphoto clean up for duplicate pictures, but there has got to be a easier way.

Thank you everyone for helping out the "new folks" on the block with such a basic question!

Cheers,

CanMPB

Jan 30, 2006
The feature of telling iPhoto not to download the duplicates works for me.

But you may also try Image Capture, which comes with your Mac. There you can select which photos to download.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi Everyone,

just got my MPB last week. Its been a long time (10+ years) since I have been on a mac platform. Anyways, I have been looking around the forums, but I am in need a assistance with a minor, but annoying, issue. Prior to my MBP I had been downloading my pictures from by Canon powershot into my Toshiba laptop using Canon's proprietary software. I would keep the pictures on the memory card and the software would just download the newly taken shots. Now, when I am using iPhoto or Aperture, every-time I take a couple additional pictures and hook it up to my MBP it downloads all the pictures again! So, if I have 700+ pictures on the card, it goes through the whole re-loading. When I start the in iPhoto, it asks me for the first picture if I want to download the duplicates, and I say "no" (and click the little box to apply to all pictures), but it still downloads the rest.

Is there a setting somewhere that I am missing? I have googles the problem and see that there is an Iphoto clean up for duplicate pictures, but there has got to be a easier way.

Thank you everyone for helping out the "new folks" on the block with such a basic question!

Cheers,

CanMPB

Why are you keeping 700 pictures on your memory card that you have already downloaded?

Here is what I do (In theis order)

1) I use image capture to download the images to a directory called something like "subjectname_2007_08_16".

2) Then I copy this onto a CDand lable it with the above name.

(I now have three copies of my images, in camera, hard drive and CD)

3) Next I import the subjectname_2007_08_16 folder into iPhoto and
then do a quick pass and delete the worse of them and asign some stars to the better ones so I can find them again.

4) Most of them get a simple crop and adjust but some get a more serious treament in Photoshop.

5) I periodically backup both my set of folders subjectname_2007_08_13 and the iPhoto library.

Before my next shoot I reformat the memory card. So the images stay on the card as long as possable but never mix with two different sessions

THere is a basic rule of thumb for keeping data -- It must exist on three different media and at two different geographical locations. Hardly anyone does this so I suspect in 20 years there will be very few 20 year old image files left.

Jan 30, 2006
THere is a basic rule of thumb for keeping data -- It must exist on three different media and at two different geographical locations. Hardly anyone does this so I suspect in 20 years there will be very few 20 year old image files left.

Two different geographical locations?? Not sure I understand exactly what you meant with this.

How much should a CD last? I would imagine it can perdure a loooooong time.

What I do is to have everything in my Mac HDD, my external HDD and important files also in my iPod. And when I finish making a movie or something I burn the important files to a DVD so I can save some space in my Mac HDD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.