iPhoto and Aperture

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by trojanmike34, Oct 30, 2007.

1. trojanmike34 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I purchased my first iMac last week and am attempting to get my photo collection set up on the computer. I have all of my photos stored on my external hard drive and would like to import them directly into iPhoto. The problem is, all of my photo folders have sub-folders, which don't seem to be maintained in iPhoto. I restore cars and might have a "1967 Camaro" folder with subfolders "Engine" "Body" "Paint" etc. If I drag the folder into iPhoto it merges all of the photos into one album and doesn't maintain the subfolder structure. I downloaded the Aperture trial and it maintains the sub-folder structure perfectly once I drag it into the library. I really like iPhoto's layout and don't really want to buy Aperture for the mere ability to use sub-folders. I would prefer to stick with an Apple product since it has one-click uploading to .mac. Am I doing something wrong with the iPhoto importing or should I just purchase Aperture?

Thanks

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

you can have subfolders within albums in iphoto

3. trojanmike34 thread starter macrumors newbie

How would I go at doing this? Once I drag a folder with multiple sub-folders into iPhoto it seems to merge all of the photos into one album. How can I achieve a tree-like structure as seen in Aperture? Thanks

4. trojanmike34 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bump. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!