iphoto and crash plan

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rick98761, Jan 31, 2012.

1. rick98761 macrumors 6502

So I had been backing up my iPhoto library through Dropbox but it just got too large to be economically feasible to continue to do so. I am trying out crash plan and am running into an odd issue. Dropbox always said my iPhoto library was much larger then my Mac said it was, crash plan has the opposite issue. It is stating that the 20gig library is only 15 gigs. Anyone know why this might be?

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

3. rick98761 thread starter macrumors 6502

I do, but what happens when there is a fire, or my house gets broken into?

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Do you have any duplication in your library? CP+ has a very effective de-dup capability.

/Jim

5. rick98761 thread starter macrumors 6502

Shouldn't be, but maybe it has some non originals saved that weren't really changed at all.

6. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Have x number of external drives, stored at x number of friends houses, just in case. :D

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You use your off-site backup. I have two external backup drives sized the same as the internal drive on my MBP (currently 1Tb for all). I backup every two weeks. I then swap the onsite and offsite backups every 2 weeks. The onsite backup is kept in a fireproof safe bolted to the floor at home. The offsite is kept locked in a drawer at work.

8. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Actually... CP+ has two mechanisms that will report less data.

1) Data De-duplication
    2) Data Compression

I would be willing to bet a beer that all of you data is in CP+

/Jim

The problem with this approach is that it is manual... and in 99.94% of cases... people stop doing it religiously.

Cloud backup has revolutionized efficient, automated backup of personal data in a manner that is safer than traditional methods. As an added bonus... it is cheaper in the vast majority of cases. IMHO... anyone who does not subscribe to an online backup system is nuts.

/Jim

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I agree but I like bootable backups which rules out the cloud for now. I have auto-repeating tasks in OminFocus. If I don't backup and/or don't swap them they go overdue and I get nasty red icons on my Mac and iPhone!

10. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I think wanting bootable backups is fine... but I would only suggest it as a compliment to automatic cloud backup. One problem with rotating offsite media is that you do not get revision support. In the case of inadvertent deletion... or file corruption... you can only recover to the depth of your rotation schedule. I personally think that is a huge weakness.

with cloud backup, you can recover to the beginning of time.

/Jim

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Sure. I have a Time Capsule for that.