iPhoto and iMovie not free.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SolarShane, Mar 7, 2014.

1. SolarShane macrumors 6502

I have upgraded to Mavericks and when going to download iPhoto and iMovie, they still appear to be priced, even though GarageBand is free. I have the ilife version that came in the Mac Box Set with Snow Leopard.

Any ideas?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

If your Mac included Mavericks as the factory installed OSX then it's free. If you have an older version of iPhoto or iMovie install them (that includes your iLife or iWorks disk) then you'll see them as upgradable for free.

3. SolarShane thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, last time I installed iLife (had to reformat. CMM) they weren't free. I think my iLife version is too old.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Try installing iPhoto. Reboot and run Software Update. See what it says.

5. SolarShane, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014

SolarShane thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I went ahead and gave Apple $30. I've spent $5171 on Apple stuff, not including Apps and iTunes purchases, what's another $30?

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Well worth the $30. Just make sure you buy your iTunes cards when they're 20% and it's even cheaper!

7. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I agree $30 isn't much compared to $5171 but all I had to do was have the older versions installed and the new ones were free. You said something about having to reformat. That I just don't get. I've never had trouble installing iWork or iLife on any Mac I've owned in the last 10 years. Perhaps you can contact AppleCare and let them know you bought those programs when you already had copies and they might give you a $30 app store credit.

8. SolarShane thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I was using CleanMyMac, and realized (after reading this forum) that CMM was the source of my issues, and thus had to reformat. I guess I'm not thinking "like a Mac user" as I'm used to doing certain things on Windows. So, I have to push myself hard to "think like a Mac" and just let my Mac take care of itself.