iPhoto and iPad Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Spyderturbo007, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Spyderturbo007 macrumors member

My 3G iPad should be delivered on Friday and have a couple questions about integration with the iPad. I currently sync my iPhone to my PC, but was considering syncing my iPad to my MBA. I wanted to do this just because I read that the albums don't work unless you are using iPhoto.

All my pictures are currently on my NAS and everytime I try to use iPhoto, it wants to copy all the pictures to my MBA. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? Also, does iPhoto just create a library file, or will it want to move all my photos around on the NAS? I like them where they are because I use them with my Xbox and don't want them all messed up.

Also, is it possible to share an iTunes library between my MBA and my PC so I can sync my iPad and iPhone without having to create a new library? The library file is currently on the NAS and just wanted to use the same one. Would it allow me to sync my iPhone with the PC and the iPad with the MBA using the same library on the NAS? I know this is more of an iTunes question, but figured I would post it here instead of starting another thread.

Thanks!

2. Pumpkin King macrumors member

iPhoto and iPad Questions

I have a similar setup although I'm using Aperture and a WHS.

Your iPhoto library can still be stored on your NAS and accessed by your MBA. It's called a referenced library so you can read about it, but all you'll need to do is identify the NAS share where your photos are and make that your library location in iPhoto. You should see it in Preferences>Advanced. If you ever get an error opening iPhoto stating there isn't a library, open iPhoto again while holding Option and you should be able to pick the iPhoto library on the NAS. It shouldn't make a second copy of your pics on the NAS.

You might want to forgo the whole thing as I think Albums on a PC should sync fine to an iPad. Events will not sync because they are not created as separate folders. Just remember, Albums in iPhoto = folders in Windows... Events in iPhoto = nothing in Windows. So create your iPhoto library accordingly if you plan to also use the library in Windows. Another point would be that edits made in iPhoto are nondestructive and I believe will not show up if you view the picture in WMC (or whatever in Windows). You might want to edit in iPhoto and then export albums/events to a separate folder on the NAS and then point WMC to that.

Sure, you can use the iTunes library on the NAS. Again, on the MBA go to Preferences>Advanced select the itunes library on the NAS. Then you can sync your ipad. Just remember that if your iTunes is on the NAS, then you might not be able to access it on your MBA when outside your network.

3. Spyderturbo007 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Pumpkin King for taking the time to type that out for me.

Perfect. I didn't think the albums would work, but if they do, I'll just stick to my PC. It will just save the hassle of digging out the MBA, charging the battery and syncing.