iphoto and multiple camera CRAZINESS

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shelleyg, Oct 13, 2007.

1. shelleyg macrumors newbie

so i love iphoto for so many reasons, but there's one big reason that it's driving me nuts and i'm desperate for help!

here's a problem i never anticipated: some of my family and friends and i all have the same digital camera, which names its photo files the same (ie DSC003456). we were all together at many of the same events, and so rather than having them email me their pictures at a later date, we just connected each camera to the computer and imported the pics directly from the cameras. now i have three or sometimes four images with the exact same original file name, and thumbnail file name, and i'm getting that awful exclamation point icon when i try to see the full size image in edit mode (or when i try to get the image ready for printing.)

i tried changing file names in the finder, but that's proven to be unwise... HEADACHE.

has anyone else had this problem before? or am i the only one crazy enough to import photos from three different cameras of the exact same model?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Weird. What version of iPhoto do you have? I'd have thought they'd at least come up in different rolls. Alternatively, I'd have imagined iPhoto would act like iTunes and add numbers at the end of the file names to distinguish between them...

Can you manually add the photos from Finder having taken them out of your library? Perhaps that'll work... Or maybe try adding different camera's photos to different albums...

3. shelleyg thread starter macrumors newbie

i think because we downloaded the images from the different cameras at different times on different days the matching file names somehow were ignored by any automatic differentiation....

that's a good idea - since i can locate the original files in the finder, i'll try to manual re-import them. it's a bunch of photos, but so far nothing else i've done has worked.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, tell us how the reimport goes. Good luck! :)