iPhoto and over 50k photos

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nycaleksey, Aug 10, 2009.

1. nycaleksey macrumors member

nycaleksey

Hi,

I have an extensive photo collection, around 50k images, mostly 3-5MB JPGs and around 1k 10MB+ RAWs.

I have once tried to start managing them in iPhoto and attempted to import it on an old MacBook Pro with 2GB RAM. It was about 2 yrs ago on an old version of iLife. The performance was very bad - everything was extremely slow and I abandoned an idea at that time. Now I have MacPro with fast HDD and 10GB RAM and was wondering if I should try this again using iPhoto 09? Doe anyone manage that many images using iPhoto here? How is the experience?

Thank you.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

My opinion is iPhoto is good for some things, managing 5k in photos isn't one of them. I think it's time for Aperture, Lightroom, etc.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

That is not something for iPhoto, jessica. has the right idea. I made the move after about 7k, it just becomes utterly slow and not time-effective.

4. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

On my Aluminum iMac with 2.8 GHz I manage around 17,000 photos in 170 events. No problems whatsoever. iPhoto used to be slow 3 or 4 years ago, but it improved gradually.

5. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

That's a lot of pictures! I'd imagine a pro with 10 gigs would see you right though.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I probably have more than that it iPhoto at the moment. It is a bit of a nightmare at times to find things, and it does become bogged down a little when doing so too.

Rev 1.1 Macpro 2.66 with 8gb Memory.

Even though I have lightroom, it's the prospect of trying to move them all across and arrange is a bit too much of a daunting prospect that I have and am still procrastinating....

7. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Apparently iPhoto '09 can handle a library of 250,000 photos.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally I'd move over to Aperture or Lightroom.

I have about 11k worth of images and I cannot imagine using anything other then Lightroom (or Aperture).

9. skybolt macrumors 6502a

You might also consider breaking your library down to 2 or more libraries -- perhaps one for photos over 10 years old, and another for newer photos (or whatever makes sense to you).

10. stujmac26 macrumors regular

Make the jump to Aperture - you won't regret it!! :D

11. nycaleksey thread starter macrumors member

nycaleksey

Thanks everyone for the advice, I ended up using Adobe Lightroom. It's not cheap but it can definitely handle 50k photos...

12. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

13. cwebermc67 macrumors newbie

Have 31K images

Being managed by iPhoto on a MBP 3.06 GHZ w/ 4 gig of RAM. Almost 1K in RAW the rest in jpeg.

14. nycaleksey thread starter macrumors member

nycaleksey

I'm fully satisfied. I can effectively manage all of 50k+ photos and can find the one I need very quickly. There are no performance issues. The importing works fine. I can manipulate the photos and I love the fact that the changes are non-destructive - the originals stay intact and the changes I make are only kept in Lightroom database separately from the CRW/JPG files. Overall I have a very good experience and the software fully meets my needs. Let me know if you have more specific questions.

15. Razeus macrumors 601

The only reason for iPhoto for nowadays is to setup albums for me to upload to Facebook and transfer to my iPhone. I also use to transfer my final edits in jpeg format to Flickr and/or show to others. I simply don't like the way iPhoto uses Events to organize. It gets wayyy to cluttered after a while. It's great if all you take is family photos and want to organize by events and use faces to find certain people, but I have a wide range of photos.

16. Applepi macrumors 6502a

Applepi

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I concur, I'm very satisfied with LR as well. Great management tools, awesome editing capabilities (rarely need to go into PS) and I'm satisfied with adobe's printer module. It produces great output. The one thing lacking is the slideshow module. It seems like an add on w/o much use. I thought I'd be able to generate a flash slide show but that doesn't seem to be the case.

18. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I think I found my next piece of software to get. I have been reading a bunch of the lightroom vs aperture threads. Downloading LR now.

19. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

uumm. Im running on a 1.6GHZ G5 (4gb ram) with iPhoto 09 and I have 93 events with 12,952 photos. The library itself is 59.81GB (mostly shooting in 10 megapixel) and I have no real issues and my machine is ooolldddd.

When I do multitasking, yea iPhoto chokes but then again, so does every app cause of the age of my computer (6 years) but otherwise, I have no problem. Especially with a newer comp, you will have zero problems.

20. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I hear ya - it does seem to improve, but for managing lots of photos, it's important to keep your hardware current, like you have. A 2.8ghz CPU is sure nice for that type of work :).