Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morod

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
So do both of these appear in 10.10.3?
I'm still on Mavericks and plan to upgrade to Yosemite. I like iPhoto and would like to keep it.
Do both iPhoto and Photos coexist in 10.10.3?
Thanks!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
iPhoto will remain [on your mac] but not get updated. Photos is part of the 10.10.3 beta

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I'm still on Mavericks and plan to upgrade to Yosemite. I like iPhoto and would like to keep it.
Thanks!

From what I've heard and read, iPhoto will be replaced by Photos, and there will be a function to migrate from the old to the new.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
From what I've heard and read, iPhoto will be replaced by Photos, and there will be a function to migrate from the old to the new.

It's not replaced, at least in the Photos beta. iPhoto remained, and you can start and run iPhoto just as before.

Note that a library used with Photos can't be used with iPhoto, however. And I doubt you could use iCloud Photo Library with both.

Morod

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
Thank you for the info, everyone! When I told the wife that iPhoto was going away she really freaked out. Never mind that I keep copies of everything with Time Machine and Super Duper, she thought all our photos would vanish.
Anyway, now I can authoritively tell her not to worry.
:)

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
Thanks!

If you like iPhoto than you will love photos - maybe some random little things.
There is no reason to stay on iPhoto unless you like no future updates, no IPL, dated UI, choppiness and lack of speed with big libraries ;)

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Also tell her Photos is vastly superior to iPhoto.

Well…

I don’t think Apple ever removed applications from your Mac without permission. Photos is treated as a new application, not an update of iPhoto.

I do wonder what happens to your iPhoto library. I read somewhere on these forums that the Photos library still ties into the iPhoto library, so I’m not that eager to touch it just yet, at least not until the beta ends. But my photo library is doubled in size because of this.

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
I do wonder what happens to your iPhoto library. I read somewhere on these forums that the Photos library still ties into the iPhoto library, so I’m not that eager to touch it just yet, at least not until the beta ends. But my photo library is doubled in size because of this.

Your iPhoto library isn't touched. It's read into Photos format, duplicated, if you will. You can continue to use iPhoto if you wish. It doesn't "tie into" your Photos library at all.

I'm not sure what doubled your photo library, though.

By all means, wait until the official 10.3, with the official Photos, comes out before trying it. Probably a prudent thing to do. :)

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Your iPhoto library isn't touched. It's read into Photos format, duplicated, if you will. You can continue to use iPhoto if you wish. It doesn't "tie into" your Photos library at all.

I'm not sure what doubled your photo library, though.

By all means, wait until the official 10.3, with the official Photos, comes out before trying it. Probably a prudent thing to do. :)

As I said, someone mentioned it here. I had not given it much thought at the time, because I presumed that Apple would keep the iPhoto library around during the beta in case it needs to rebuild something. I think before the last beta, Apple also updated iPhoto to improve the compatibility with Photos.

The doubling referred to the fact that I now have two libraries, as Photos duplicated my iPhoto library and turned it into a Photos library.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
As I said, someone mentioned it here. I had not given it much thought at the time, because I presumed that Apple would keep the iPhoto library around during the beta in case it needs to rebuild something. I think before the last beta, Apple also updated iPhoto to improve the compatibility with Photos.

The doubling referred to the fact that I now have two libraries, as Photos duplicated my iPhoto library and turned it into a Photos library.

Interesting; Photos hasn't done that with everyone's library, and has used hard links apparently to refer to photos that were "in" the iPhotos library. Just the masters of course. Is your library a referenced one?

You do lose some features if you go from iPhoto to Photos. Events work a bit differently (they become albums, which are more flexible). You can't use iPhoto Library Manager (bummer; it could merge and otherwise manage iPhoto libraries). You can't geolocate your photos within Photos; they have to come with that info already added from your phone or other source.

And there are some other restrictions if you use iCloud Photo Libary.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Interesting; Photos hasn't done that with everyone's library, and has used hard links apparently to refer to photos that were "in" the iPhotos library. Just the masters of course. Is your library a referenced one?

I’m getting a bit confused now. Is Photos referencing your iPhoto library, after ‘import’?

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
Well…

I don’t think Apple ever removed applications from your Mac without permission. Photos is treated as a new application, not an update of iPhoto.

Photo is treated as a replacement to iPhoto, not as a new application. iPhoto will never be updated again and will be removed from the App Store (it will stay in purchases). It's dead and that's good because it was a bloated and slow mess.
You can import your iPhoto library to use with photos or you could do what I said below if you are worried about duplicates etc.

----------

I’m getting a bit confused now. Is Photos referencing your iPhoto library, after ‘import’?

Its creating a new library I believe even if you import your existing iPhoto library.
For all the people that are worried about importing your iPhoto library why don't you just export all your images from iPhoto and save them in a folder. Than you just import them into photos when released and the only thing you will loose is your albums/events.
That's what I will do since I want to start from scratch with photos so I exported all my iPhoto pictures with all current edits to an external HD and deleted iPhoto and its library. Now im just waiting to import them into photos when it's released. :D

Last edited:

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Photo is treated as a replacement to iPhoto, not as a new application. iPhoto will never be updated again and will be removed from the App Store (it will stay in purchases). It's dead and that's good because it was a bloated and slow mess.

Semantics. Photos is a new application, it ships as version 1.0. It is merely the successor of iPhoto.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.