iPhoto and Photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by drewaz, Apr 15, 2018.

1. drewaz macrumors regular

My 2 TB HD (up to date El Capitan) is almost full. I like iPhoto and have about 60k images stored there. It's just a library for me since I edit them in PSE. I've also been downloading images to Photos but just don't see it as a good option for me right now and as long as I can use iPhoto there's no reason to use both apps.

At least for the short time, I'd like to delete images from Photos and keep everything in iPhoto until I figure out a better system for me. I need more HD space and only use the app as a place to store the images.

So, I'm wondering if the images are actually duplicated when downloaded to both iPhoto and Photos or is one image tagged to both apps. If so, I'm guessing I wouldn't free up much HD space by deleting Photos.

Thanks. Any thoughts or suggestions: greatly appreciated.

2. mofunk macrumors 68020

mofunk

I could be wrong on this....Mac OSX will display the actual image and a thumbnail. I'm using Lightroom and I noticed on my external drive, I will have multiple images. On my Mac there seems to be several versions, but it's actually one. Just like what you see within iTunes.

I would go through the images on your external drive to see which ones you don't need. I shoot a lot of concerts and I will have 3-4 of the same image taken one after the other. The artist probably moved a hair over. So now I try to pick out the best out of the 3. Go through what you don't see as a good image and delete it.

The other day I did look at old images that I backed up using iPhoto and there were duplicates and just an overkill of folders. So now I just drag and drop in a folder thats labeled by Year - event - title. Each photo is tagged with key words. You can create your own system.

Then get purchase another.