Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
I just installed Elements 6 and want to use it as my external editor from within iPhoto.

After the Elements install, I opened iPhoto and went to the Preferences to choose my external editor. I'm perplexed, the only options I see are: Edit Photo in Main Window, In separate window, Using Full Screen, In Aperture...

Where's the Element's option? Shouldn't it be here? Please help.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007

I read this "First Look" and didn't see anything. I even read the comments below but the closest thing I found was something that referenced setting PSE6 as your external editor in preferences and then right-clicking on the photo and choosing "Edit in External Editor".

That's precisely the problem...when I choose Preferences, PSE6 doesn't show up as an option in the drop down next to "Edit Photo".

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
Quick follow-on:

You must have already set Ap as the external editor. Go back into preference, and choose the "Aperture..." choice. This brings up a "where's Ap" dialogue box. Navigate instead to PSE6, and select that. That might do it for you.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
After the Elements install, I opened iPhoto and went to the Preferences to choose my external editor. I'm perplexed, the only options I see are: Edit Photo in Main Window, In separate window, Using Full Screen, In Aperture...

Where's the Element's option? Shouldn't it be here? Please help.

There should be an option to "browse". That will take you to a finder-like dialog box. From there you navigate to the applications folder and select the PSE app.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
which version of iPhoto?

I'm at work in front of my windoze box so I can't tell you precisely but I know it's the latest. I keep all my software on the latest X.X.X releases.

;Quick follow-on:

You must have already set Ap as the external editor. Go back into preference, and choose the "Aperture..." choice. This brings up a "where's Ap" dialogue box. Navigate instead to PSE6, and select that. That might do it for you.

Interesting thought. I downloaded Aperture 2 as a 30-day demo but haven't opened it since the trial expired (about 2 weeks ago) and haven't decided whether to buy it yet. Anyway, at one time I did specify Aperture as my external editor but before the trial expired I'd reverted to using iPhoto to do my edits.

When I get home, I'll try your suggestion. I guess I thought that PSE6 would appear in the drop down the same as Aperture did as an external editor that I could choose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.