iPhoto and recovered photos

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by desmond, Jul 4, 2007.

1. desmond macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am trying to import a bunch of photos into iPhoto and it keeps crashing. My guess is it is to do with the video formats, it doesn't support them. I've had a look at the crash log and it doesn't make too much sense to me, but I can see a few mentions about Quicktime there.

When it does crash however, it chucks all the photos that it had imported before it crashed into a "recovered photos" folder. How do I import these into my albums?

Cheers

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. desmond thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply, it seems complex to go through and try to figure out the difference between what I have in iPHoto and what didn't get in. Even though it says recovered, I can still view them fine, so why doesn't it add them to the album?

Basically, I am trying to import about 1000 photos. When it gets to about the 900th, it crashes and then when I re-open it has put all the other 899 photos into the recovered folder, even though they came in fine.

I've tried this a few times and the same problem keeps coming up. Would love to know why it keeps crashing, why doesn't it just skip any formats it doesn't support? Otherwise, how can I add the recovered photos into the album without importing again.

Thanks

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If you have imported anything into iPhoto before just delete the ones already in iPhoto from the library.

5. desmond thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Eraserhead. I have got to this point several times already, which is why I'm trying to find a different solution. Each time I try to import them, I get errors on one and lose everything to the "recovered photos" section.

Is there no way to move the recovered photos into the album? It seems a pointless feature if they have to stay in that folder forever.

Cheers

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Import the files that are causing the problem 10 by 10 until you work out which file is causing the problem and then don't import that one.

7. LastZion macrumors 6502a

I am having the exact same problem. My wife was able, about 2 minutes before me, to import them on her macbook but I can't on my MBP.

We are both running iPhoto 6.06 (322).
    Photos imported fine on her macbook
    On my MBP they crash everytime and that is using both of our 1gig sticks. Then when I try and import again I get the message that some files did not finish importing, would I like to import them now, I do that and iPhoto crashes again.

So it doesn't, to me at least, look like it is the files on the mem card, rather something wrong with my iphoto.

Any ideas?

8. LastZion macrumors 6502a

sorted

So I deleted the folders in my Import photo, then I deleted the codecs in the quicktime folder other than the apple one and the flip4mac and low and behold the photos finally imported well.