iPhoto and Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by indy2005, Jul 7, 2011.

1. indy2005 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have imported my photos into iPhoto, but I think iPhoto only holds links to the original files. Will Time Machine back up the originals, or just the shortcuts to the originals?

Also, I need to move my photos onto an external drive, and want to move my photo library to an external drive...I am thinking it would probably be neater to have the photos re-imported but have them physically reside in the library....

What is the best approach, and how will Time Machine handle it in both instances?

Any advice appreciated.

Regards

i

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Time Machine effectively backs up the whole drive.

3. waynep macrumors 6502

In an answer to you first question, there is a option in the iPhoto preferences/advanced tab . . . Copy items to the iPhoto Library. Turn this on and iPhoto will put all your pics in it's library. There are plenty of sites describing the option via google. I switched from Windows to Mac as my primary personal machine and was very skeptical about letting iPhoto "manage" my photos without me knowing where all the jpg files are. After a lot of research, I took the plunge and dove in headfirst and am letting iPhoto so it's thing.

I don't know about moving your library to another drive but I bet you could google it.

4. indy2005 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have set that option, but it wont copy existing photos into the library, only subsequent imports I think.

What I want it to do, is reimport everything into the library, i.e. to look at all the existing events and photos - and reimport them from current location into library. I tried doing a reimport and it just created two events....

Regards

i