iPhoto and Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Techsavyfreak, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Techsavyfreak macrumors member

I am curious, i have 1.5 GB of photos in my iPhoto library, but when i enter time machine and try to view them, i can't. this worries me, because if i accidentally delete a photo, I won't be able to restore it. If anyone can help me that would be great.

2. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Have you set Time Machine to back up your photos?

3. skd macrumors 6502

i was under the impression that time machine backed up everything unless you told it not to back up something. Does it have to be told to back iPhoto or iTunes?

4. Bambeezer macrumors regular

There is an option in iPhoto under Edit to browse backups. The help files tells me that I can recover individual files, but I don't have my time machine drive connected to test it.

5. TJones macrumors regular

Open iPhoto and then start Time Machine and you'll get that Time Machine interface with pages and pages of iPhoto interfaces instead of Finder.

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Yes, and for the record the same thing goes for Mail.app. Open Time Machine with Mail.app as the application in focus and you will get the Time Machine interface with a snapshot of your mail stretching back to your oldest backup.

7. Techsavyfreak thread starter macrumors member

WOW! thank you so much, this helps out a LOT!:D

8. cheesynz macrumors newbie

cheesynz

iphoto and time machine

in relation to TJONES response 'Open iPhoto and then start Time Machine and you'll get that Time Machine interface with pages and pages of iPhoto interfaces instead of Finder'
    please tell me what i should do if i don;t see pages and pages of iPhoto interfaces - yet in normal view of time-machine there are heaps of back-ups and i can see pages and pages....if you can help - i would SO appreciate it

9. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Ditto. Good tip that I had no idea about.

10. mattblmgtn macrumors newbie

tjones is my hero

TJones, you just saved a ton of pictures of my kids I accidentally deleted. Thank you!!! :):):):):)

11. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I just delete my kids whenever I do that to even things out.

12. rcd macrumors newbie

I am using OSX 10.8.3 and having the same trouble. I deleted a photo book I had been working on for over a year and can only see the application folder in Time Machine. There is no option for viewing back ups in iphoto. Any help is appreciated. Thanks