Iphoto/Aperature Libraries

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Chalkster, May 22, 2010.

1. Chalkster macrumors newbie

Hi there, recent convert to macs a few months ago.

I don't want aperature or iphoto to create their own libraries, I would like to work on a photo in pictures and the relevant folder and leave it there and not create another copy elsewhere. I recently read an article/tip on how to do this but can't find the relevant magazine.
    Anyone help?

TIA
    Chalky

2. HeelToe macrumors newbie

I'm in the same situation. New to a Mac with 10 years of photos that needed to be migrated. Also I rsync my photos to a home NAS so other can grab them. After fighting with the same issue as you here is what I ended up doing.

1. Build the directory structure you want within your Photos directory.
    2. in iPhoto Preferences Advanced tab I disabled the 'copy items to iPhoto library.
    3. I import to my directory structure as desired.
    4. I use Picaso for most of my touches and changes to photos.
    5. If I want something in iPhoto for some purpose then I import into iPhoto. Since the copy to iPhotos was disabled it does not create another copy. Instead it simply creates a shortcut to the original directory. Any edits or changes to the picture are saved as a difference type file in an alternate directory leaving the original file untouched.

Probably not exactly what you wanted to hear. Nevertheless that's how I tackled the issue.

3. Chalkster thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that, I will disable the copy items to iphoto option for a start.