iPhoto > Aperture 3; 212GB import...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mtbdudex, Jun 9, 2010.

1. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

My dad got me Aperture 3 as early Fathers day gift, yea he's a geek like that.

I selected Import to new library (something like that), Aperture said 212GB to import, well, that was 8pm last night and now 10 hrs later still processing.

It's not hung up, I can see lots of stuff there, just how long does the import process take? I won't delete my iPhoto library until everything confirmed transferred "ok". This is on my "new" 27" iMac i7, should be a fast machine.

I'll also have to re-sync my AppleTV to Aperture I see, another overnite task.

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Processing previews takes a long long long time initially. You can stop this process, resize them to half or smaller, or turn previews off all together.

It isn't indicative of what Aperture is like when it is all done. Let it run over night, restart the machine, and you should be in good shape.

3. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Agreed. That "extra time" is all the aperture goodness you're getting - once you edit a photo it won't take any more space whereas in iphoto it'll recreate every time.

4. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

For libraries that large, you may actually benefit (speed-wise) from having all of the previews at half-size. This is simply a sharable preview file to other parts of the OS (iTunes, iPhoto, etc). The thumbnails in Aperture itself are actually different.

Some people turn them off all together. I size mine down to iPad resolution, as that is the only app/device that I would share photos to - and that is the largest resolution they would need to be (1024x768 vs. 21MP!)

5. mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Thx Grimace and jbg232 for advice, since I'm at work now hopefully the iMac will keep chugging away and tonight it will be done "processing".

jbg232 , I see you use both Aperture 3 & CS5 (your sig)
    You use Aperture3 as file management and CS5 as one stop PP, or do you use Aperture3 PP tools for some stuff and only "high level" PP tasks do you delegate to CS5?

I have PSE8 and a trial version of CS5 - which I've played with but not so much, with my wife college discount can get CS5 for $199, so picking your brain here on PP workflow.

6. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

I use aperture 3 as my main photo organizer and do lots of quick edits in aperture (ie white balance, exposure, curves, levels, etc.) I use photoshop elements 8 for my filters that don't have 64-bit support yet and photoshop CS5 for heavy edits or for achieving effects that aperture can't do or do well. If I have a photo that will be hung up on a wall or published it has likely spent a little time in photoshop to get that extra level of detail that aperture can't handle. However, I would say that I spend 90% of my time in aperture as it is more efficient and can do 90% of my edits very easily (which is why I love it).

BTW, for the difference between CS5 and PSE8, the speed is incredible, but more importantly, there is no curves control in PSE8, less control over detailed editing adjustments (contrast, highlights, etc), but also no HDR in CS5 among other things, but those are my main uses for CS5 over PSE8.

7. mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

I appreciate all the help with Aperture.

Q1:
    How do I import from the Apple Mail app into Aperture?

It's built in to iPhoto, I can't find prefs in either app to turn on the Aperture equivalent.
    Obviously I'm not looking correct spot, I'm sure this is simple thing.
    Below shows add to iPhoto, which is used all the time when family sends us picts, now I want add to Aperture there.
    [​IMG]

8. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

^ Because of the way that Aperture works (with projects, rather than events), I don't believe this is possible. I too use Aperture as my main photo library so this would come in handy but after using all 3 versions of Aperture, I haven't yet found importing directly from Mail to Aperture available as a feature.

9. mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

10. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Because if you library is larger than your internal HD you have no choice :)

That's not entirely true, but it is helpful with very large libraries and doing lots of edits quickly.