iPhoto, Aperture and shared libraries

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by lcseds, Sep 16, 2014.

1. lcseds macrumors 6502a

I know they can share each others library, but what I want to know is if there is any advantage on how it is done. In other words, is there any benefit to having an Aperture library that iPhoto shares? Or same with iPhoto library that Aperture shares? I have been using an iPhoto library with Aperture and wondered if a fresh import into Aperture is worth the trouble.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You've gotten it a bit backwards. They're not sharing their own unique type of library with each other, there's just one type of library.

It doesn't matter which program creates it, it's the same kind of library. You open it with whatever program you want at any given time.

3. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I hope you don't mind me jumping in this thread but can you answer this..

I see I have an iPhoto Library file which I assumed both Aperture and iPhoto shared but I have also got an Aperture Library. I don't believe I need this but wanted to check if that is also the iPhoto Library but handled by Aperture.

sorry if thats confusing :eek:

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

When you start either program for the first time it will create a library. So that's where they both came from. But maybe you only need one.

Open them each. (And check its file size too.) If one is totally empty, trash it. Then make sure each program opens the library that remains instead of creating a new blank one.

To force-select a library hold the Option key while opening the program. It will ask which library you want to open. The program will remember that forever until you change it again.

(If you find that you have photos in both libraries, use Aperture to merge them. Open one and then import the other one. I'm not positive but I believe it will COPY them over an you can then erase the old library once you've confirmed that copying worked.)

EDIT: I found this http://support.apple.com/kb/VI159

5. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Cheers for your help, dude. Really appreciate it.

6. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

So the Aperture file was only 18GB compared to the 369GB iPhoto one so I deleted it.

Thanks again for the advice :)

7. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Did that Aperture library contain 18GB of unique photos? If so, you lost them. If those photos were also in the iPhoto library already, then you are fine.

/Jim

8. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

No idea. I hardly use Aperture so will duplicates or files i've not looked at in years. I was happy to delete :)