iPhoto, Aperture, LightRoom, PS Elements ??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by YMark, Dec 9, 2008.

1. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

New switcher here with a digital photo question or two. Before I download and try some of these applications, can someone answer the following? Below is what I did in Windows.

- When I copy or import photos from my camera, I put them in a directory called "Unprocessed". After editing these photos (leaving the original alone), I put them in a directory called "Processed". I then put them in sub directories as appropriate. I usually store the originals on an external drive.

- I also had another directory structure for resized or lower resolution photos that I use primarily for web or email postings. This makes for duplicate photos which can be a hassle.

What I'm looking for is an application that will allow me to edit my photos, leave the originals untouched, and categorize them as I see fit. I assume photos can have multiple tags.

Thanks

2. feuerschlange macrumors regular

Lightroom fits to your request perfectly.

I put my originals on my hdd in a folder structure (Nikon Transfer does that for me automatically).
    Lightroom imports the photos (creates a preview, collects file informations, does not copy the files, thanks god).

In lightroom, I process the photos, how I want them (if needed, do deeper processing with photoshop, Nikons CaptureNX or Noise Ninja - all linked out of a lightroom menu).

Lightroom never touches the original files, but saves my changes in a library file (original photos around 150GB - Lightroom library around 180 MB).

Now I can export versions for emailing, printing,... in all resolutions/ qualities, I want (you can create export profiles for this).

After I used the exported files, I delete them, as I can hit the export button as often, as needed later.

I dont need to seperate processed and unprocessed files, as lightroom automatically tags processed files.
    I can use the extensive filter and search functions of lightroom, to find specific photos in my library also.

If you push it, you even could completely forget a folderstructure and put all photographs in one folder, as lightrooms library functions are very strong.

You can even have different external hdds with photos, import them all in lightroom and plug in the photos, as needed.

Great software!